rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im sure they took advantage of them but yours looks natural to me.

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
It doesn't look natural to me. In pic #3 I can see signs of drilling.?? I see wear that resembles modern threading. Just a comparison, not at all saying you have a modern reproduction. I think you have some sort of artifact, be it a paint pot, fire puck, or any number of possibilities. Cool find!!

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is a cool find. But I'm not certain it's a paint pot. Could be, but the ones I've seen (on line only) have remnants of pigment remaining in the cup. That said, I too would have picked it up! ;) Yakker

rockheadhunter421

Mar 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The overall stone is a natural concretion except that I do see the lines that looks like drilling inside. There are some stones that can have large pits naturally too. However, even if it is truly natural I'd keep it anyway since I know Native Americans did take advantage of a stone they didn't have to modify. Either way it would still work in a survival situation. Nice find!

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I picked up a stone the other day that could go either way as a grinder or something on those lines. I kept it and still have no idea if it was used or not. Its so smooth and shows some slight work on the edges.

OP
OP
GroundS.KeepeR

GroundS.KeepeR

Jan 25, 2009
Tennessee
I'll post new thread of at least one I think is a paint bowl and my same site finds

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    620.6 KB · Views: 181

rockheadhunter421

Mar 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I picked up a stone the other day that could go either way as a grinder or something on those lines. I kept it and still have no idea if it was used or not. Its so smooth and shows some slight work on the edges.

You know what the material is? Usually a coarse-grained material works best for grinding. I find ground stone tools also. Some of these look like they can be celts, choppers, or hand-axes all in one. Around here a slate, quartzite, gneiss or granite material is normally a ground stone tool. I always find them in areas I recover artifacts. I found a strange rock at those millstones a few weeks ago. I am not kidding, but it is in the shape of a machete blade and about 1/2" thick and 12" long. I'm going to make it into a tomahawk. I am picky so I don't want to see them having any fresh breakages. Altogether the stone needs to look old, but determining whether a Native American really made it is really the question. The people I share my collection with locally and my friends loves looking at these kinds of stones and my tomahawks too. You gotta know by now, I'm a true rockhead. Lol!

Last edited:

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its a flint cobble type but very flat and round. The Museums here for NA artifacts have them as "Grinders". Up north they are called Manos. I guess it could also be a hammer by looking at the edges or just a rock.

rockheadhunter421

Mar 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also find a lot of sandstone in this camp site..I wonder if they also used sandstone ..

I think sandstone and silicified sandstone (bearing more silica, quartz) is a material they used. They can be probably used for grinding/abrading surfaces and for gaming balls. Probably to grind the bases of arrowheads/spears for hafting. Also, I'm not sure if I'm fully correct, but for a survival situation they could make small sandstone balls as a cooking balls. I know clay cooking balls are more common but I think sandstone can be used also. Then they could use sandstone tablets to carve images on too. I'm not fully sure if they did, I'm just speculating. Those Native Americans surely had some knowledge to survive if they need too.

Last edited:

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went ahead and posted it. I believe it looks natural but the edges are very smooth.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions