My first artifact...38 years ago

intensecrasher

Apr 6, 2014
California
Detector(s) used
Ground-penetrating radar...LOL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My first artifact...38 years ago. Hell Gap? and a Dalton!

First off I am new to this board and want to say thank you to everyone who offered advice on my first post.

I started hunting when I was 8 years old. I grew up in a small town in Iowa and went to get my hair cut one day. The barber had a frame of arrowheads in his shop and I was intrigued and asked about them. I found out that they could be picked up in fields around where I lived. My family thought I was crazy and no one listened to me except my grandfather. To make a long story short, he and I and my brother figured out how to find sites and started hunting. He passed away last year after hunting for 38 years. He was retired for all of those 38 years and hunted every day in three different states…In light of a recent news article; I will not go into details for obvious reasons. So you will have to use your imagination.

I am posting two pictures here. The first picture is the first artifact I ever found. My grandfather had an archeologist that he knew from the University of Iowa look at it because we were new to collecting and didn’t know what it was. I can’t remember what the archeologist called this one but he thought it dated to around 11,000 B.P. My guess is that this is a Hell Gap?

The second picture is obvious. This is the oldest artifact I have found. I found it in Iowa walking a river one year when the water was low. This one was an incidental as no sites are near the location where it was found and nothing else has ever been found there. I wish it wasn’t exposed to running water for 1000s of years!

Anyway, I just wanted to share. I’ll post some more pictures of stuff in the future that you are sure to enjoy!!!

P4070026.JPG P4070007.JPG P4070006.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
Before I read your post, I looked at the pictures. My thought on the first pic was "WOW! A hellgap!". Then, I read the post. I see you think it's a hellgap just as I. I've never seen a hellgap in person but I've looked at many in books and on the web. My vote is hellgap. It adds to reason that a hellgap would be found along with the dalton or hardaway. Nice artifacts!! Thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
intensecrasher

intensecrasher

Apr 6, 2014
California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks NC Field Hunter! They both came from the same region in Iowa but they were found at separate locations some distance apart. the Hell Gap? is kinda clunky and it has a thick spot toward the center. It looks crudely made but it was my very first find and I LOVE it!

OP
OP
intensecrasher

intensecrasher

Apr 6, 2014
California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thought I would also mention length on both of these
Hell Gap? is 3 1/2 inches long
Dalton is almost 4 1/4 inches

S

stefen

Great story but be careful, the fibbies may give you a visit and appropriate your collection...

By and by, I would think that any of the alphabet titled agencies watch site such as TN...

Keep hunting and sharing.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice artifacts

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greats points, both! And nice to see a couple that are not perfect, as weird as that sounds. It just adds to the authenticity of your finds, IMHO. I look forward to seeing everything you choose to post! Yakker

catherine1

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are really nice finds. Thanks for sharing them on the forum.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions