Beautiful group of points

intensecrasher

Apr 6, 2014
California
Detector(s) used
Ground-penetrating radar...LOL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A frame of nice points that I have mostly found. The obsidian points came from Oregon and were found while I was in the military. There is a small Columbia River Style dart in the bottom left that I also found in Oregon.
The two Pedernales were given to me by my grandfather. I believe these are only found in Texas.
Knife River flint scrappers in the center of the frame and several other Knife River flint points are included.
Enjoy!

P4080007.JPG P4080006.JPG P4080008.JPG P4080009.JPG P4080011.JPG P4080013.JPG P4080012.JPG P4080014.JPG

Upvote 0

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a really nice collection- and good-looking frames! I haven't seen you name here before, so welcome! Do you still hunt? (and if you do, good luck on your next hunt!) Yakker

OP
OP
intensecrasher

intensecrasher

Apr 6, 2014
California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's a really nice collection- and good-looking frames! I haven't seen you name here before, so welcome! Do you still hunt? (and if you do, good luck on your next hunt!) Yakker

I still hunt but only in the summer in Iowa. I have lived in California for a long time and dont hunt here (I would like to but its different than home and I dont know any hunters who live here). I am new to the board and have been posting a few things here and there. I will post more in the future!

Plus this state is not artifact hunter friendly....

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice set of artifacts in that frame. Its a shame but allot of the states are jumping on the band wagon about being unfriendly with people that like to hunt points

OP
OP
intensecrasher

intensecrasher

Apr 6, 2014
California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What is the name of the one on the far right?

To be honest I am not sure...could be a Des Moines or a Little Sioux. I am trying to learn about the different types of points and identify everything that I have. For some reason I failed to learn about the different types over the years. I spent a lot of time learning about the sites that I hunted on...What Culture lived there, when they lived there, etc. I do know that it is made of Knife River flint.

I have a reference book and a few websites that I have used to determine type....Unfortunately, I see to many similarities between styles and I often second guess myself. Anyone have any tips on learning how to identify different styles?

Last edited:

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No I dont really know the names either but I sure do like finding them. I found one that looks like it is the reason I asked but mine was in GA.

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
It's easier to type them if it's known where they were found. Where do the KRF pieces hail from? First look at that far right point says Avonlea to me.

OP
OP
intensecrasher

intensecrasher

Apr 6, 2014
California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It's easier to type them if it's known where they were found. Where do the KRF pieces hail from? First look at that far right point says Avonlea to me.

Sorry not at home and its hard to use the phone app. The picture with the three points - they were all found in Iowa.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread