Good news about artifact collecting in Kentucky

Adena_man

Feb 5, 2007
Nicholasville, Ky
I just found out that Kentucky Bill HB117/BR209 has been tabled. It will not be voted on this year. This is the bill that would require a permit for artifact hunting even on private land. The bill is not dead, but is at least kept from being voted on in 2007. This one made a lot of collectors concerned about the future of our hobby in Kentucky. We just have to be ready to fight it again in 2008.

Definitely good news!

Upvote 0

texasriverdigger

Mar 10, 2007
Freeport Texas
Thats great for those folks... But I believe it is only the beginning of what is to come for our hobby. I have talked to some TX stewards that are pissed about what I am doing on my site.. But they don't want or have the time or funding to check it out.. and tho I have explained that erosion is washing these sites away,thay had Rather that happen than for me to try to salvage as much as I can!! Go figure.. Just my 2 pennies.. Thanks... Mike

OP
OP
Adena_man

Adena_man

Feb 5, 2007
Nicholasville, Ky
Hey Mike! I live in Central Ky just outside of Lexington. I think they are going to keep trying this every year. We just have to keep fighting it off. The tobacco buyout has hurt us here. A lot of really good sites are now hayfields because owners have quit plowing. The owner of one of my best sites is getting up in age. He only plows to have something to do each year. He may be quitting in a couple of years. I half-jokingly told him that I would plow and disc the field if he wanted me to. I plowed and disced it about 20 years ago when my Grandfather owned part of it. I would do it again if I needed to!

texasriverdigger

Mar 10, 2007
Freeport Texas
My site on the river is owned by a man that was a good friend of my dads, he used to volunteer us boys to help him fix fence and work cows it is approx 200acres and it has about a mile of choice river frontage.. And for helping we got to fish and set out throw lines..I found a few things then but I didnt know what I had been walking on all those years and He didnt either.. Well my Dad has long since passed and he is up there to, they had no children and I have been kinda adopted by them.. I still go help out and help them, and he has told me to have a ball out there just don't leave no holes that will injure his cows..But that has been a bit of a problem because I cant leave open pits for long I have to barricade it to keep the cows out and they don't want to stay out..So I just do the best I can.. He is afraid of the emanate domain thing that is sweeping the nation, It has already landed here in freeport and the rich people from Houston are buying the river up.. He is afraid they will take his place and it is part of the old 20acres and a mule thing it has been in his family since 1870s.. There is a old trash dump out there in the back 40 I would love to take my front end loader back to one day but I have a full plate as it is...

jbl04410

Feb 11, 2007
Hermon,Maine
Detector(s) used
My eagle eyes
Hey Adena man thats great news.It seems to me there would be more pressing issues out there to deal with,but what do I know.If the same thing should happen here I guess an outlaw I shall become.At this point in my life I look at these type of laws to see their impact on nature first then on mankind.Then I decide accordingly.

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good news for now,
I know plenty of outlaws allready!! ;D

Fossis.................

P

pickaway

That is good news.A permit, cmon always wanting in our pockets.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread