Upvote 0

intensecrasher

Apr 6, 2014
California
Detector(s) used
Ground-penetrating radar...LOL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is one of the coolest things I have seen in a long time!

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you for sharing the link Charl. What an amazing find.

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Looks pretty thin for a 200 yr. old tree. I'm not familiar with how fast trees grow in the Pacific N.W. so it could be that old. Personally I doubt the carving is over 20yrs. old. No moss or total stains like the surrounding trees. It disturbs me to see a beautiful forest logged out and turned into scrub.

theviking

Bronze Member
Aug 29, 2009
Blue ridge mts, Virginia
Primary Interest:
Other
Cool stuff, Charl. I was surprised to read that they did eventually cut down the tree to be housed in an administrative building to share with other members. Interesting.. Thanks for the post.

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How awesome is that! Thanks for sharing it with us Charl. :)

OP
OP
Charl

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Cool stuff, Charl. I was surprised to read that they did eventually cut down the tree to be housed in an administrative building to share with other members. Interesting.. Thanks for the post.

Looks like they had no choice, even being there 200 years. Too exposed, some clown would have cut down the tree and made off with it otherwise.

OP
OP
Charl

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Looks pretty thin for a 200 yr. old tree. I'm not familiar with how fast trees grow in the Pacific N.W. so it could be that old. Personally I doubt the carving is over 20yrs. old. No moss or total stains like the surrounding trees. It disturbs me to see a beautiful forest logged out and turned into scrub.

Intetesting observation. However, I suspect the experts who have examined it have a much better handle on the age then you or I do simply looking at it. There is a long tradition of these tree carvings in that area(apart from the much better known totem poles), and I am certain if they estimate 200 years, they have plenty of good reasons for that estimate. Yeah, not crazy about clear cut forestry either, but Japan needs timber:-(

Faces in the Forest | McGill-Queen?s University Press

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    469.2 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions