Anybody from Mississippi

texasriverdigger

Mar 10, 2007
Freeport Texas
Hi lincha, I am from Texas so I cant help you there.. But speaking from experience most people don't really like to tell those types of things.. I have spent alot of hours,days,and weeks walking and hiking and just pondering where I will go next to try to find a good site..and when I do happen to find one I sure don't want to tell where it is it(at least a exact location) I have always had good luck looking around old creeks,rivers,and the Beach's and places that look like they might have been good hunting and fishing.. also construction sites were they have been clearing trees in prep for building is a few suggestions.. I don't know how new you are to the hobby? But make sure and get permission before you go on to private property, and you might read the local and state laws regarding artifacts before you get to involved it could cost you alot of money and time if you get caught breaking the law, and to mention it really hurts our hobby when that happens things are getting tough on collectors because people have become ruthless in collecting them...... Good Luck... Mike

OP
OP
lincha

lincha

Feb 27, 2007
Iowa
Thanks for your reply Mike, I am a fairly new collector, was actually hoping maybe somebody used to live here and since they couldnt search their spots anymore, maybe they would give me a tip. I have only been in Mississippi since last June, originally from Iowa. Will be moving in a couple of months, probably to Wyoming. Place I looked for artifacts here was in Luxapilla Creek.

jbl04410

Feb 11, 2007
Hermon,Maine
Detector(s) used
My eagle eyes
Lincha,couldnt help you with your Mississippi request,but am wondering where you originated from in Iowa.I was born in Burlington on the eastern border of Iowa.Did you get a chance to hunt around there?There cant be any better area.I hunted the Illinois side of the Mississippi for a few years.Huge amounts of artifacts never got skunked once I zeroed in.Regardless where your at work the water ways.

OP
OP
lincha

lincha

Feb 27, 2007
Iowa
Sorry Jb everytime I think Im truly brilliant I do something dumb. I answered your questions in a im but darn me, I sent it to myself. Yes I know where Burlington is, I was very close I lived in Muscatine and my parents live in Grandview. Only have been to Burlington about 6 times though. I havent done any artifact hunting since I was about 8 with my dad. Only just recently started the hobby a few months ago here in Mississippi.

Are there any clubs or groups in your area? I have seen the pics of some of the stuff you have posted from Illinois would love to go search for stuff sometime. Looks like I will be out travelling for a year or two yet though.

Thanks for the tips. Take care.

jbl04410

Feb 11, 2007
Hermon,Maine
Detector(s) used
My eagle eyes
Hi Lincha,
I had to laugh at your response.You see when you used the abrev. im I had to ask what that was so I can relate as my computer skills are minimal.I have never been to Mississippi but I bet it doesnt have the cornfields Iowa has.I really havent researched into area clubs.Really wouldnt be my cup of tea as I do this mainly for the solitude and(ME TIME).If you are ever in Illinois or Maine drop me a line.I'll hook you right up with with some proven spots.I would think that with all the storm abuse Mississippi took that it would have opened up some new ground.Enjoy your new pastime as it is a dandy and its cheap to...................................................................JAY

S

seph228

I live in Biloxi, I know where a possible civil war virgin dig spot is. Nothing big though a battery use to be there its on an island. Battle of mobile bay happened where the battery use to be. Its not in a park or anything like that just an island in the bay. Would require a small boat to cross the river in the bay to get to it. I have looked at satillite photos of the area it looks pretty accessible.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread