Any help on this large piece?

Treorp55

Feb 6, 2011
Eaton Rapids, MI
Any help on this piece is appreciated, I do not collect but found this piece while throwing away our old business owners stuff as we move offices. Is is genuine?
image.jpg
image.jpg

Upvote 0

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i think it would be better to see with a better background,maybe white.can not really tell what it is

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see the notches but it was probably used as a paper weight. Can we see the ends?

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it looks like a tool to me,thats a type of granite from michigan i think and does look like a axe,or war club.can you tell if it is really smooth around the notches going across the rock as it was halfted and should show signs of wear.thats a really hard rock and to me it shows some type of wear on the tip.thanks for sharing as i grew up in michigan and never looked for artifacts,i think you have something there its just so hard to tell by a picture.or it could of been a woodworking tool to carve out canoes,its not a fine example but looks like a really hard rock to work with.just check it out for smooth spots around the bit end if they used it alot it would smooth up pretty well

Last edited:

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I could be totally wrong but the damage or marks of manufacture whatever you want to call them look awfully fresh and I get the feeling he was messing around and in the process of making his own axe or celt

rockheadhunter421

Mar 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can see the difference between a re-chipped, fresh looking surface and the older surface. I'm not sure if it was intentional or not though.

OP
OP
Treorp55

Treorp55

Feb 6, 2011
Eaton Rapids, MI
I do not think he was trying to make his own, you can see around the notches where it looks like string/rope had been tied around it and the marks definitely look old.

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice going treorp55,i think you got an artifact there,i think they have an artifact person around flat rock buy the flea market there but not sure how close you are too it.hang on to it and when you hear about an artifact show near ya take it in they wont charge you to check it out and you can get first hand opinions from ones who can hold it.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks almost like it was dropped and then broke on the end or maybe a disc cut it into.

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
with that type of rock if someone hit it 5000 years ago it would still look like that today i think,but im no expert.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The gray is the old part.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions