dsinsc

Nov 29, 2011
The Low Country
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelabs Fisher F-75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This was recently found by a friend of mine near Beaufort SC. I wish I had a better picture but I ran into him at the grocery store and had to use my phone to get this one. It's about 2"s tall and is made from a hard brown stone. The back is blank but highly polished. It's about the coolest thing I've ever seen and I'm hoping to be able to talk him out of it. I'm guesing it could be one of three things, Native American, African or the one I'm leaning more towards, South American. Any and all opinions would be appreciated as to what you think it could be, how old it is and what a fair offer for it would be. Thanks, Dave

Attachments

• indianstone.jpg
    indianstone.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 134
Upvote 0

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting Find! Looks like it comes from south of the border (Mexico, etc..) Need better photos without the blue filter.

rockheadhunter421

Mar 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like something you would see on the show "Ancient Aliens." I would guess either Aztec or Mayan. Not sure if it's just a modern carving but definitely neat! 8-)

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have no idea myself. Did he say he found it in the dirt or did it come from a collection?

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is Mayan or Olmec head effigy look real close for tool marks, a lot of those things are made new south of the border.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doesn't look American Indian to me. It looks more Pre Columbian and since it was found in SC it is more than likely a tourist item.

OP
OP
dsinsc

dsinsc

Nov 29, 2011
The Low Country
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelabs Fisher F-75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the replies Everyone, I thought it looked like something from South America too. This was found on the ground at an old plantation site after plowing a fire break near a tidal creek. Other than deer and bird hunters, this area hasn't seen any modern activity since the 1860's so I'm sure it's not a modern tourist item. The picture is horrible I know, I'll try to get better ones that show the true color and workmanship. Thanks again, Dave

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Front and back views would be great Dan.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread