✅ SOLVED Anyone know what this one is...Scottsbluff?

intensecrasher

Apr 6, 2014
California
Detector(s) used
Ground-penetrating radar...LOL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This was my grandfathers and I believe it was found in Iowa
It has some stem edge and base grinding however the entire stem and base does not appear to be ground
I can see some parallel flaking and random flaking
Base has been thinned on one side (can be seen in picture 4)
2 1/2 inches long
1 inch wide

P4150006.JPG P4150001 (2).JPG
P4150007.JPG P4150004.JPG
P4150003.JPG

Upvote 0

rockheadhunter421

Mar 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It does look like a Scottsbluff I overall to me. Overstreet says: Parallel to convex sides and weak shoulders. The stem is parallel sided to expanding. The hafting area is ground. Most examples have horizontal to oblique parallel flaking and are of high quality and thinness. Also, it reminds me of a Rice Side-Notched that normally has shallow notches and weak shoulders (Overstreet ID Key: Basal form). I'm not 100% sure which one to tell you to go with. Maybe this will give you a better idea.

OP
OP
intensecrasher

intensecrasher

Apr 6, 2014
California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It does look like a Scottsbluff I overall to me. Overstreet says: Parallel to convex sides and weak shoulders. The stem is parallel sided to expanding. The hafting area is ground. Most examples have horizontal to oblique parallel flaking and are of high quality and thinness. Also, it reminds me of a Rice Side-Notched that normally has shallow notches and weak shoulders (Overstreet ID Key: Basal form). I'm not 100% sure which one to tell you to go with. Maybe this will give you a better idea.

Thanks rockheadhunter421. I appreciate your input and I will look up the Rice-Notched! I wasn't sure about Scottsbluff because the base is kind of thick and like you said, I'm not sure if the quality and thinness are there on this one.

rockheadhunter421

Mar 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea, typing by photos is tough for me sometimes. I really couldn't see what the flaking was for sure so I wanted to throw out that other possibility. I've had a Rice Side-Notched before and it was actually thin and the flaking was not oblique parallel like the Scottsbluff. It was more random/parallel like a late archaic to woodland period style flaking. The base was ground and the notches were ground for hafting. That is the best description that I can provide right now.

Last edited:
OP
OP
intensecrasher

intensecrasher

Apr 6, 2014
California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It is hard for me to see the flaking and I'm holding it! Maybe I should get new reading glasses. It almost looks like chevron flaking with a horizontal transverse.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a Scottsbluff type 1 and a ScottsBluff type II.. some of them exhibit random flaking also.
It was believed to be found in Iowa.. You need to take that into account when considering it to possibly be a rice that looks like a Scottsbluff

Last edited:

painterx7

Silver Member
Jul 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a scottsbluff point nice find !!!!

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
It's not a Scottsbluff. It's a Steuben point (terminal Hopewell) that's made of heat-treated Burlington chert. Steuben are very similar to Rice, but have a different distribution range. Rice are found down here in the SW Ozarks, where Steuben are found in eastern MO, Iowa and Illinois.

Last edited:

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well there's your answer... I should have seen the fact it was he treated... I'll go back to Florida now bye bye

OP
OP
intensecrasher

intensecrasher

Apr 6, 2014
California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It's not a Scottsbluff. It's a Steuben point (terminal Hopewell) that's made of heat-treated Burlington chert. Steuben are very similar to Rice, but have a different distribution range. Rice are found down here in the SW Ozarks, where Steuben are found in eastern MO, Iowa and Illinois.

Thank you for your help Neanderthal, I really appreciate it! I would like to ask you or anyone else how I can tell if a lithic has been heat treated? I have tried researching online and am not coming up with much.

Thanks again everyone!

rockheadhunter421

Mar 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for your help Neanderthal, I really appreciate it! I would like to ask you or anyone else how I can tell if a lithic has been heat treated? I have tried researching online and am not coming up with much.

Thanks again everyone!

Chert will change colors I think.

11KBP

Oct 7, 2008
Central Great Plains
It's not a Scottsbluff. It's a Steuben point (terminal Hopewell) that's made of heat-treated Burlington chert.

X2

Also in the above posts it was was mentioned a couple of times that: "Most examples (Scottsbluffs) have horizontal to oblique parallel flaking."

I would love to see an example of an authentic Scottsbluff with oblique flaking.

rockheadhunter421

Mar 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
X2

Also in the above posts it was was mentioned a couple of times that: "Most examples (Scottsbluffs) have horizontal to oblique parallel flaking."

I would love to see an example of an authentic Scottsbluff with oblique flaking.

Lol. I really don't even know what a Scottsbluff is but I quoted that from the 2013 Overstreet from page 960. That is how Overstreet described the Scottsbluff. Then, Overstreet pointed out in the pictures of some that has collateral flaking. :dontknow: I knew that overall that the point in question here was from a later period that is why I suggest the Rice. I was close but coming from an ole country boy from NC I think that I done well helping to solve this one.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread