Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
maybe,but they got around i think they are found in all states

rockheadhunter421

Mar 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I noticed in my Overstreet book that KY does have some exceptional grade artifacts for the Eastern Central region. However, there is a list of the important sites in that region and a site from KY is not listed at all. All the important sites listed are from TN or AL. I think you best answer would be to look at each region. Split up the U.S. by east, central, and west. I still think that would be difficult b/c many of those high end types can still overlap, just as Jamey said. I think any state in the U.S. would be equal too. The chances probably could be less in a smaller state like RI but the finest, most expensive artifact ever found could be from there. What would you think about your chances would be in Hawaii or Alaska? Lol. You could find an artifact from the Paleo-Arctic cultures in Alaska. I'm not sure about Hawaii....anyone here found anything in Hawaii before? What would be the toughest state to look for artifacts?

Last edited:

Jon Stewart

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2011
I found my Clovis in New Mexico not far from where a couple of Fulsoms were found by hunting friends. Also found my Pandale in New Mexico while metal detecting a gold mine. The Pandale is more native to Texas. My buddy who taught me how to hunt says, "arrowheads are where you find them".

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think Ohio has some of the best lithic color and I also like TN. But I have never hunted any place but here in GA

olroy70

Feb 3, 2011
gainesville, tx
Detector(s) used
Garret 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found my Clovis in West Texas.................Not far from Clovis, NM, in fact!

Jon Stewart

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2011
Rock, best colors in Ohio is because of that really nice looking Flintridge materials!!!!! IMHO. And when you cook up Flintridge it really flips the colors and brings out some really nice looking colors especially the blues.

tomclark

Bronze Member
Dec 18, 2006
Tampa Bay, FL
Detector(s) used
ShadowX2, TEJON, Eyes, Pony Shovel
Primary Interest:
Other

In FL during Clovis times the beach was 150 miles out in the Gulf of Mexico! Some of the best sites may be inundated!

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
Inundated..... Hell of a word! Lol! 150 miles out in the blue. Are any of the Fl. Paleo sites within divers range? I know pressure is unbearable at a certain depth.

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark 8" coil, vaquero 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will assume that columbia river arrowheads are not valued so highly because there are so many of them...there were more Indians on the Columbia river then white men on the east coast when Lewis and Clark made their journey... And We can only imagine the stuff that is covered by water from all the hydro electric dams...

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was at my local library today. looking at arrowhead price guide . While browsing threw the pages. I noticed all the high end points pictured were found in Kentucky ! Such as Clovis , Cumberland...guess my question would be hunting artifacts in Kentucky do you have a better chance finding a Clovis ?
More clovis have been found in the south east than any other area according to paleo distribution charts. But I think some of the best sites and knowledge has been gained outside this area.Missouri is a crazy place for big points. Friend has some farms on the obion river in Tn. He has his points in a cigar box. In that box mixed in were a few clovis, beaver lakes and daltons. I have only seen one really good cumberland found and it was around 2 inches long but perfect. Whole different manufacturing process. Kentucky has good lithics and that equals stellar points.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom just saw your charts.I would be diving for them. That is hard to imagine but very true. Seems everything is under water now….

eastTNJoe

Mar 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why do we have to attach a value to them? Sure I would like to find a clovis point, but I would also like to find a bannerstone, a grooved axe, etc….I guess big points are always going to make us drool and little ones will keep us interested enough to keep looking for that killer…my best point is one of my smallest..I just like the way it looks and the memory of how I found it and who was with me…that said…I wish it was a clovis! I am happy I'm in TN, but I really like the look of those tiny dart points from the Pacific Northwest and those coral beauties from Florida…I think we are always looking at what we can't possibly find based on our geography and dreaming big….makes it fun…doesn't it?

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
My question would be .what are my odds of finding a Clovis here in middle tennessee ?
Not sure of your odds, but.... You do have a chance. Those paleo points are everywhere. That's the big oddity that the Clovis has. TNJoe, I back you on your money reply.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread