Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some 'Garden' Rocks... Thoughts?

Picked them up cause they looked 'right' for one reason or another. Anyone see anything worth keeping. Reason being, I'm moving soon and wonder what to take, what to leave in the garden-- and what to leave for the locals (post offices, schools, etc.)
These first four are of a piece I found w/ that monster (14")hoe? I showed a while back. This was buried in snow, so I waited until it was all gone....finally...

0419141832.jpg 0419141832a.jpg

0419141833.jpg 0419141833a.jpg
I tend to think it's natural, but the more I look at it, it isn't just that...maybe.
But there's more:

0419141833b.jpg 0419141836.jpg
The one under that pile up right is also the one down left. Pestle?

0419141837.jpg 0419141838a.jpg
the one above right is also the one below left. Broken celt? Pretty green stone(color doesn't come though).

0419141838.jpg 0419141839.jpg
Above right is a jumble, down left is a beautiful red speckled rock, broken 'just so'.

0419141839a.jpg 0419141840.jpg
Up right is a 'thingie w/ a hole' (I think everyone has one...)
Also below, from different angles. Very symmetrical, in my very humble opinion.

0419141840a.jpg 0419141840b.jpg

0419141842.jpg 0419141842a.jpg
Above, some triangles and a rock w/ suspiciously symmetrical whacks on both ends.

0419141843a.jpg 0419141843b.jpg
Above left is a weirdo w/ a hook/prong on one end. Probably natural... But then the long one to the right, above, also below-
the end looks beaten, and it has a part which looks ground in. Perhaps a pestle, but not a perfectly perfect one...?

0419141844.jpg 0419141844a.jpg

0419141846.jpg
This last pic... the dark round ball-shaped rock middle, below crescent-looking rock is very round and peck-marked all around. Blackened- I suppose, from a fire. As in 'boiling rock', perhaps. Second from right, bottom looks very much like a chisel- the blade 'edge' being down-facing. I see this sort of stuff fairly regularly around this area. Believe me, it's a pin in the tukkus trying to 'see' the real stuff from the river cobble. There are some incredibly decent 'imposters' which I pick up every dam time. But these are the ones I decided to take home- heavy as they are, miles from my car... Any thoughts are welcome. I don't know much about hard-stone, and welcome the education! Thanks for looking! (ya' know, I remember when folks would put up- in the title to the thread- 'LOTS OF PICS!' because it just wasn't often one got a pic. For many reasons, I love being able to take pics w/ phones!!) Yakker Oh- if someone sees something they'd like a better look at, tell me.

Upvote 0

rockheadhunter421

Mar 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the last picture, I like that smooth stone at the bottom left. I would take that one home if I found it here. I don't know if it was ever used as a stone tool, but I would just think it's cool to have it. There is another stone I saw pictured here. It was in the picture where you have that reddish speckled stone in your hand. The stone I am talking about looks like a chisel-maybe. It's long and thin. If it's less than an inch thick, I think I could make a tomahawk out of that one. There is certain specifications and details I need the stone to have before, I consider it tomahawk or war club quality. I have made a few out of regular stones before and it was really successful. I made 20 of them and I've sold all but one now. I can make at least 20 more whenever I can get out in the woods and cut some good wild cherry or black walnut handles. Tomarocks are awesome!

Last edited:

SCrocks

May 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last picture- bottom row- second from right side sure looks like a celt or chisel like you said / Thank I would have to bring that one in the house,

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yak will you have room where you are going to keep everything? I have given away a few cool rocks to my neighbors. They in turn left some big green stone on my porch!:icon_scratch:

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Id like to see the green stone they left.

OP
OP
yakker

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last picture- bottom row- second from right side sure looks like a celt or chisel like you said / Thank I would have to bring that one in the house,
I think I may have to do that. My indoor pile of rocks is confounding...

OP
OP
yakker

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yak will you have room where you are going to keep everything? I have given away a few cool rocks to my neighbors. They in turn left some big green stone on my porch!:icon_scratch:
In fact, I will have as much space as I do not- perhaps more...but I'll be in a completely different locale, very different from where I am now. Back to Virginia and to foothills of the Blue Ridge. I never hunted artifacts when I lived there years ago, so this will be an entirely new adventure- and learning curve for me.

And my neighbors are not worthy of gifts- one of many reasons I'm moving. I think I'd end up not w/ a big green stone (I want to see it too--), but a smoldering paper bag filled w/ 'fertilizer'. Or worse.

Happy Easter everyone! I'm going to go hunt, but not for eggs! Yakker

OP
OP
yakker

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In addition- now that I've re-read TnMountains reply again- I will take a number of things with me- my favorites, and frames of particular interest, for one reason or another. But much of the stuff I've collected will be given/distributed to non-archaeological venues- where my stuff can been seen and appreciated for where it came from. I have this weird issue w/ removing things from their 'native habitat' for the sake of my personal collection. Kinda like catch-and-release fishing in a way. Take what you can really justify- leave the rest. I don't value my collections in terms of money- so It's not as though I'm leaving a bankroll. And, for those who don't move, and live in the same place for ever- having a ton of rocks is fine- kind of like growing your own personal museum- as many actually have done. Not so much when you have to move them ;) And I am just one person.

I know a lot of folks have lived in the same place, as their parents did- their whole family- for years, ages, generations. But I am not among them. I grew up in a town I would never live in now (nor could afford to). My old stomping grounds- where I found my first Quaker State sign (which I still have!), are now paved and developed (not really the right term) with McMansions. I barely recognize the little road I grew up on. So, the romantic notion of searching one region for years is amazing- and awesome to me. But just that. A romantic non-reality. So as I move about- up and down the east coast- I carry with me the things that spur memories, stories. The things that mean the very most. The rest, I leave behind- and not with any regrets. I'm just tending the shores of my waterways, rescuing bits of history before they wash away- hoping that someone might make an otherwise un-known connection between something I find and the otherwise vague, unwritten- and mostly lost oral history of the people who were here long before I. But that's just my personal philosophy. Yakker

S

stefen

I liked the "Imposter" term you used for wannabe relics...

Its better than using "Jafr" or whatever is convenient...

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In fact, I will have as much space as I do not- perhaps more...but I'll be in a completely different locale, very different from where I am now. Back to Virginia and to foothills of the Blue Ridge. I never hunted artifacts when I lived there years ago, so this will be an entirely new adventure- and learning curve for me.

And my neighbors are not worthy of gifts- one of many reasons I'm moving. I think I'd end up not w/ a big green stone (I want to see it too--), but a smoldering paper bag filled w/ 'fertilizer'. Or worse.

Happy Easter everyone! I'm going to go hunt, but not for eggs! Yakker

Ok here is the greenstone. It is from Hiwasse ..can you see it? Click the pic to enlarge :hello:
Happy Easter and best wishes on your move.
photo copy 4.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions