Were these tied to sticks?

pickin

Greenie
Apr 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please tell me what these were used for. The squared ends make me think they were tied to sticks :icon_scratch:
Thanks for your thoughts...

5b1jr.jpg

j8h6x2.jpg

Upvote 0

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If they were used in that manner they would of been inserted into a bone and then tied on. The bone would of been the handle. Interesting but I would say they are over strike removal flakes and then used as scrapers or knifes. Do all of them have the secondary flaking on the edges?

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Pickin. Did you find those? Though it looks like some edge work it may not be a tool. Sometimes rocks get tumbled causing edge wear. If they were worked by man they are not really like any known examples. Even Paleo man was pretty good with his reduction flakes or expedient made scrappers. It almost looks as if that piece was together at one time :dontknow:.
Sometimes these things are a puzzle we may never solve.

OP
OP
P

pickin

Greenie
Apr 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do all of them have the secondary flaking on the edges?

They all look the same on the edge. They look so much alike that it seems like they were made this way.

x29x6t.jpg

OP
OP
P

pickin

Greenie
Apr 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Pickin. Did you find those? Though it looks like some edge work it may not be a tool. Sometimes rocks get tumbled causing edge wear. If they were worked by man they are not really like any known examples. Even Paleo man was pretty good with his reduction flakes or expedient made scrappers. It almost looks as if that piece was together at one time :dontknow:.
Sometimes these things are a puzzle we may never solve.

Yes, I found them in a creek. You think they may just be chipped up from being in the creek? That's interesting because I find so much I'm having a hard time believing that they are tools. But there is an abundance of workable chert rock in this creek, maybe Paleo man saw this creek and thought it would be a waste not to turn every rock into a tool :icon_thumright:

rockheadhunter421

Mar 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure what kind of tools those are b/c I've never seen anything like it. If it was a tool I believe it was a very simple design for a knife or scraper. For example, that type of stone when quarried broke with such a naturally sharp edge that secondary flaking was not needed at first. After a couple uses with the tool, it then needed a little secondary edge work to sharpen it back up. I'm just speculating, so don't really think I know what I'm talking about. From that picture there, it looks like it does hold a sharp edge. I'm thinking that its maybe like an expedient Paleo tool, but like I said I've never seen anything quite like that here.

Last edited:

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for showing the work on your find. Its a tool and looks man made to me. Maybe your creek has hit a trash pit and washed out all of those tools. There is spots on the creek I hunt that pottery every time I go. I believe there must of been a trash pit above the spot. Id be picking up every piece I find those types of tools very interesting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread