Help/Opinions Please

rockheadhunter421

Mar 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have just this one picture, but I'm wondering which one in this NC collection would be the most valuable? I see that Hardaway in there, but I'm not sure if it's the most valuable one in this collection I'm deciding to buy. I already know what the guy wants to sell them for. The main one I have a question about is the bell-shaped one that is a white-banded material. I was told that one should be the most valuable and that it looks like a ceremonial blade. If it is a ceremonial piece could this one be like a Ross type? Does anyone have a Ross in their collection that they could share/describe or could someone help me determine what would be the max value I should be looking to pay for these? Your opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_7148.png
    IMG_7148.png
    140.6 KB · Views: 109
Upvote 0

Rege-PA

Jul 13, 2007
Looks like a Gahagan, but slightly small. Woodland period. Related to a Mineral Springs which is much larger 5in + and very valuable.

OP
OP
R

rockheadhunter421

Mar 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a Gahagan, but slightly small. Woodland period. Related to a Mineral Springs which is much larger 5in + and very valuable.

I just researched those types. Looks like you are right or very close. Those types were in the Southern Central U.S. section of my Overstreet guide. It seems odd that a type normally found in Texas was found in NC. However, I've seen gar scale arrowheads, that were collected in NC, in a Mississippian display at my local library, so I do believe there was an ancient chain of trade. I wonder if that type could be considered like a ceremonial blade in NC anway? I still pretty much believe my buddy who said it was a ceremonial blade. What do yall think about it being a ceremonial blade in NC?

Last edited:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would sure wait for somebody familiar with N.C artifacts to chime in. A texas point shouldn't be in a N.C collection. Do the materials match N.C? Why is it a ceremonial blade @ 2'?

Last edited:

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We arent allowed to buy or sell Ceremonial blades here in GA. So I would say that a nice blade you have the chance to buy

OP
OP
R

rockheadhunter421

Mar 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would sure wait for somebody familiar with N.C artifacts to chime in. A texas point shouldn't be in a N.C collection. Do the materials match N.C? Why is it a ceremonial blade @ 2'?

Yes, it's NC materials too. Like I said I asked a friend, in person who knows NC artifacts, and he said he thought it looked like a ceremonial blade b/c he couldn't type it either. Also, I have seen Gulf Coastal materials or heard about them being found in NC; for example, gar scale arrowheads found in Yadkin Co. (Mississippian cultures lived along the Yadkin River), Coastal Plains chert, and my buddy has red translucent flint broken arrowheads he found in the southern Piedmont of NC. I know that seems out of the normal quartz and rhyolite artifacts in NC, but I've actually seen that first hand. I do kind of believe it but I wanted to see what the consensus of the forum has to say. Rege made a very good guess I think. I am wanting someone else from NC to chime in also.

Last edited:

SCrocks

May 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe a Copena? There was an articular, if I recall right, in the Central States Journal some time back about a cache found in N.C. I think they looked just like that one.

OP
OP
R

rockheadhunter421

Mar 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe a Copena? There was an articular, if I recall right, in the Central States Journal some time back about a cache found in N.C. I think they looked just like that one.

Thanks for your help! I will definitely consider that type. Also, I believe these were found in Union County, NC near the Baucom Site (the 2nd Hardaway site).

SCrocks

May 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the article (again if I recall correctly) that's what they speculated they were. A little ways out of the normal range with is Tenn. I believe.

OP
OP
R

rockheadhunter421

Mar 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the article (again if I recall correctly) that's what they speculated they were. A little ways out of the normal range with is Tenn. I believe.

I wonder why a type that is normally found out west, would show up here in NC anyway (whether they traded, traveled or didn't do both)? Even though it is not that long, you think it could still be for a ceremonial purpose? That is the key that is persuading me to buy this collection. The guy that has them don't know the types, other than the Hardaway and I believe he is asking a pretty good deal (esp.if that one in question is ceremonial).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread