Axe

mainejman

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a hard pill to swallow but today I was hunting my site that I shared with a buddy.He showed up with his son about the time I was leaving.You guessed it this is the picture I got sent to me.Just shoot me I'm never gonna hear the end of this.Specially since I told him if he was nice I'd let him touch my arrowheads...

ForumRunner_20140421_184920.png

Upvote 0

SCrocks

May 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A little bitter/sweet but that's one fine axe! Those are extremely hard to come by around here.

painterx7

Silver Member
Jul 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice axe my friend it happens to us all ;)

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But good news in Karma. I feel your pain especially after teasing him….

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice ax but to bad you didnt find it. Maybe he will be nice enough to show you where he found it and then there will be another one for you to find.

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ahh its not all that bad,its a nice one for sure, but that man will always remember you.and ya will have some good things to talk about for awhile.

swamp yankee

Jun 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find,at least we got to see it too! Don't worry you'll get an even better one soon the area must have more of 'em. HH and keep pluggin'/lookin'.....

OP
OP
mainejman

mainejman

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks pal its all hit and miss he plopped down in the right spot.I'm truly glad he liberated it from the ground.I have been looking for an axe for fifteen years in two states.We had just realized we were in a multi-componet site.It seems here that axes were laurentian archaic.So I had just realized the potential for finding an axe.This being established with the finding of these little points and pottery....mjm

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That can hurt, but when you have friends in artifacts, it does happen. I believe we find what we are meant to find. Bet it isn't the only one at that site, so good luck finding the next one.

OP
OP
mainejman

mainejman

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks charl it will be showing up elsewhere here soon it was wildo420.I'm waiting for him to post.I woke up to ...have you licked your axe wounds yet...haha...let's just say I'm motivated....

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
If a friend takes me hunting on his grounds, I never go back alone. I would feel guilty finding such a piece on a friend's ground. Bitter/sweet... That sums it up.

OP
OP
mainejman

mainejman

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got no problem with it if he goes by himself.Just don't find a frigging axe.Anything but an axe....

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awww.. man I just got that feeling in the pit of my stomach... I hate that!
I know at the end of the day you're happy for your buddy as I would be for mine but we would all understand how much that sucks.. I just pulled some hair out for you...lol

OP
OP
mainejman

mainejman

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My buddy let me see and hold his axe.That is after I let him in....This is definetly not your regular hard stone axe head.It is made of sandstone.We came to the conclusion that it is just to light to use as a wood working tool.Not well made enough to be ceremonial.It really shows no signs of wear or being sharpened.I have never seen a Maine axe they are rarer than chest hair on a baby.I am used to Illinois axes where there is no doubt of their use.The only thing I can think of this is a Mellon splitter.Maybe made to dispatch a fella or a critter.What do you all think???

OP
OP
mainejman

mainejman

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here you go rock! They are not good pics but maybe you can zoom them in...mjm

ForumRunner_20140424_084407.png

ForumRunner_20140424_084458.png