Rookie

CaptFrank2001

May 25, 2014
Rutherfordton, NC
Detector(s) used
My eyes.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
About 2 weeks ago I found one very nice projectile point on my property (5 acres). Since then I have found 100+ pieces. Most are what appear to me to be preforms or maybe the correct term is blanks. I have also found what I believe are 4 scrapers and 3 axe or adz heads. It appears like my property was used to start the process since I have found very few pieces that I would say are finished. I am open to any input as to what I have here. Thanks

1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG 4.JPG 5.JPG 6.JPG

Upvote 0

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well show a clean pic and lets have a look. Make sure you show the base so we can get a I.D.

OP
OP
C

CaptFrank2001

May 25, 2014
Rutherfordton, NC
Detector(s) used
My eyes.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
We had a killer storm most of last night. I found about a dozen more preforms and one more nice piece (picture). Looking forward to searching in the creek in a day or two when the water level drops. I can tell it is all stirred up & should be really good hunting.

1A.JPG

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a hard call with that material but it looks to be in the Early Archaic time frame. I was thinking Pine Tree on the first one but like I say it would just be a guess. Hope you find some killers when the creek goes down.

OP
OP
C

CaptFrank2001

May 25, 2014
Rutherfordton, NC
Detector(s) used
My eyes.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Today I found a bunch of stuff after the big rain we had two nights ago. Look at this rather plain rock I found until I picked it up and turned it over. (I added the stick. Lol) Very cool !

1.JPG 2.jpg 3.JPG 4.JPG

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What does the edges look like?

catherine1

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice artifact saves!! Most of your finds are quartz/flints pieces! You will find both in NC.

OP
OP
C

CaptFrank2001

May 25, 2014
Rutherfordton, NC
Detector(s) used
My eyes.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Two different pieces. The one piece is nearly clear crystal. In fact I thought it was a piece of glass when I found it. It is only 7/8" long. It is sharp on one side and razor sharp on the other side.

1.JPG 1A.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG 4.JPG

ptsofnc

Apr 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You've had quite a bit of success since you started this thread a month ago. Do you have permission from any of the farms in your area to walk? Continued good luck!

OP
OP
C

CaptFrank2001

May 25, 2014
Rutherfordton, NC
Detector(s) used
My eyes.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks. I have 5 acres and everything I have found so far has been there. I am not trying to brag bit I am finding so many broken pieces that I don't even pick them up any more. Apparently my property must have been a main camping area or perhaps a quarry. Here are some odd & broken pieces I picked up while walking my dogs this afternoon.

Broken.JPG

Last edited:

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like that small quartz point. Looks like a Morrow Mountain

OP
OP
C

CaptFrank2001

May 25, 2014
Rutherfordton, NC
Detector(s) used
My eyes.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Found some interesting stuff today. The 3rd picture is two pieces I found very close together. They nearly look identical. 4th one is very odd where the bottom is cut on two sides but no point on the other end, just kind of rounded off. Last three are of some kind of drill. Maybe not good in the pictures but you can see where it is worn down from use about 1/2" from the pointed end.

1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG 4.JPG 5.JPG 6.JPG 7.JPG

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some of that material is going to be real hard to know if it has been worked or not. I believe the 1st one is a broken tip or preform. The 2 that look alike could be natural nodules or shapes and on the rest also probably natural.

OP
OP
C

CaptFrank2001

May 25, 2014
Rutherfordton, NC
Detector(s) used
My eyes.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Some pieces are really difficult to show they have been worked on in pictures. I am having a state Archeologist come and check out my site in about 3 weeks. I'll be really interested to see what she thinks. Also I will be putting in a 2 car Garage starting next week. I will have to move quite a bit of dirt & in one place will be going 5-6 feet deep. It will be a real good opportunity to see if there is anything in the deeper layers. Should be fun.

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
Today I found a bunch of stuff after the big rain we had two nights ago. Look at this rather plain rock I found until I picked it up and turned it over. (I added the stick. Lol) Very cool !

View attachment 1014258 View attachment 1014259 View attachment 1014260 View attachment 1014261

a good shaft abrader (or shaft sander/polisher)
those were used in pairs.........one piece on top and one on bottom with the shaft in the center
they were very effective and usually made of something like sandstone something similar
you have a good chance of finding more where you are hunting

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

CaptFrank2001

May 25, 2014
Rutherfordton, NC
Detector(s) used
My eyes.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for the info. I did not know what it was & it make perfect sense. I found some other things that I think are tools. I will post some pictures.

OP
OP
C

CaptFrank2001

May 25, 2014
Rutherfordton, NC
Detector(s) used
My eyes.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Pictures 1 & 2 has two sides that appear to have been ground nearly perfectly flat. Pictures 3 & 4 has one curved end that is pretty sharp. Pictures 5, 6 & 7 are all rounded on one end & the other end is nearly flat. Five of them will sit upright on the flat end. I've only been doing this for a couple of month's so I may be passing up a lot of things since I am only about 50% sure what to look for. There is a learning curve to this stuff but it sure is fun to find a nice piece. I welcome any comments and appreciate and info on my finds. TIA

1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG 4.JPG 5.JPG 6.JPG 7.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread