Rookie

CaptFrank2001

May 25, 2014
Rutherfordton, NC
Detector(s) used
My eyes.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
About 2 weeks ago I found one very nice projectile point on my property (5 acres). Since then I have found 100+ pieces. Most are what appear to me to be preforms or maybe the correct term is blanks. I have also found what I believe are 4 scrapers and 3 axe or adz heads. It appears like my property was used to start the process since I have found very few pieces that I would say are finished. I am open to any input as to what I have here. Thanks

1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG 4.JPG 5.JPG 6.JPG

Upvote 0

SCrocks

May 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello CaptFrank. Im not to far from your area and have about the same type materials around here in S.C. The nice serratted point you posted a few post back would be a Palmer. I don't see any artifacts in your last three post. As for quartz , general speeking , they avoided using the bull type quartz. Not saying you want find a artifact made of it but they prefered the more milky or vain quartz like the two broke pieces you posted a few pictures back.

OP
OP
C

CaptFrank2001

May 25, 2014
Rutherfordton, NC
Detector(s) used
My eyes.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
OK...Who knows anything about Petrified Wood? I think this is a piece. It looks like wood and has what I think are growth rings.

1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG 4.JPG

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe it is sandstone.

OP
OP
C

CaptFrank2001

May 25, 2014
Rutherfordton, NC
Detector(s) used
My eyes.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I had the North Carolina Deputy State Archaeologist here to look at my property. Really a nice lady & very knowledgeable. She said that 90% of what I have found are artifact's. She also thinks there may be two sites on my property from different time periods.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Possible on the time frames being different. I have a place I have permission to hunt and have found Late Archaic all the way to Mississippian periods. If the land was a good spot I guess anybody would of lived there if they could.

OP
OP
C

CaptFrank2001

May 25, 2014
Rutherfordton, NC
Detector(s) used
My eyes.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Have not posted in a while. Found a Morrow Mountain 1 today. Sorry to say it has a broken tip. Looks like milky Quartz.

Morrow Mountain 1 - 6-7-2015.jpg

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes most of the quartz points I find here are broken. Find a whole one and its a real treasure.

OP
OP
C

CaptFrank2001

May 25, 2014
Rutherfordton, NC
Detector(s) used
My eyes.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
We have had a lot of rain in the last 2 weeks. Should be good hunting. The search continues.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

CaptFrank2001

May 25, 2014
Rutherfordton, NC
Detector(s) used
My eyes.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Found a broken tip from a point. It does not match to this one that is missing the point but it shows how easy it can be to miss a very small piece. The other one is a very rough point about 2" long.

FullSizeRender(135).jpg FullSizeRender(136).jpg

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread