Rookie

CaptFrank2001

May 25, 2014
Rutherfordton, NC
Detector(s) used
My eyes.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
About 2 weeks ago I found one very nice projectile point on my property (5 acres). Since then I have found 100+ pieces. Most are what appear to me to be preforms or maybe the correct term is blanks. I have also found what I believe are 4 scrapers and 3 axe or adz heads. It appears like my property was used to start the process since I have found very few pieces that I would say are finished. I am open to any input as to what I have here. Thanks

1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG 4.JPG 5.JPG 6.JPG

Upvote 0

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi CaptFrank and welcome to the site! From what little I know and I'm not an expert by no means ... pic #4 top center 3 look definitely worked. The rest I can't tell but I do know you are not that far from me as the crow flies about 30 miles and your area as is mine was home to the Catawba and other Sioux speaking bands. I'd say you are on to something there and keep your eyes open for more. Also, look at some of my past posts to see the types of pottery shards you might find and I have found a few points and tools but more pottery shards than anything. Is there a creek nearby or on your property? That's also a great place to look too if there is one. Good luck and HH!

OP
OP
C

CaptFrank2001

May 25, 2014
Rutherfordton, NC
Detector(s) used
My eyes.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
No pottery yet. Yes, there is a small spring fed creek on the back part of my property. I have founds some points in there.

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No pottery yet. Yes, there is a small spring fed creek on the back part of my property. I have founds some points in there.

Everything I find was in the creek that borders the back of my property and have found nothing at all on dry land. I think my creek is spring fed too and comes off a nearby mountain and it must be washing thru an old bottle dump too because I find lots of glass and if I'm lucky an entire bottle.

ptsofnc

Apr 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is most of the stone quartz and quartzite? Looks similar to what I find on my property. Looks like quartz/quartzite that was quickly brought to a "first stage" preform or blank (or stone that was tested for quality) that was then discarded and not used. I live in NC too.

OP
OP
C

CaptFrank2001

May 25, 2014
Rutherfordton, NC
Detector(s) used
My eyes.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I believe it is about 90% quarts & quartzite but I am far from an expert at this. I just got interested in this hobby with my first accidental find about 2 weeks ago. I am finding very few finished or nearly finished pieces & most of those are missing points. Not sure if they broke off from use or during the time they were being worked on. Also here are two pieces that I believe are axe or adze heads or possibly tools. They are about 4" long. The pictures don't really do them justice but they both appear to have been worked to this form.

1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG 4.JPG

ptsofnc

Apr 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are searching a good area. Keep looking.

Apr 11, 2013
Wyoming Valley. PA
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and Coinmaster GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

points look to old for clay pottery times. more likely it will be soapstone bowls you'll find. great finds, wish i had a backyards with points in it.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the forum. I have to ask are you finding these on the surface or do you plow a garden? The points and tools look correct but on your ax heads they look like natural rock. But it looks like there should be some real nice artifacts in your area.

OP
OP
C

CaptFrank2001

May 25, 2014
Rutherfordton, NC
Detector(s) used
My eyes.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for the welcome. As far as I know my property has never been farmed. I have not done any digging and everything I have found so far is from the surface. I have thought about picking a small area for a test dig. Maybe a 4' x 4' section. I really would like an archeologist to have a look.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well you could have a school look at the property if you like. Just go to your local College and ask if they have any students doing any studdies and see if they would like to come out. Its worked for others and you can get a agrement that you get to keep all of the finds.

Apr 11, 2013
Wyoming Valley. PA
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and Coinmaster GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a good spot to start digging would be the highest spot closest to the water source. The higher ground would keep there huts dry(er) and safe from flooding.

OP
OP
C

CaptFrank2001

May 25, 2014
Rutherfordton, NC
Detector(s) used
My eyes.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is actually the spot where I found my 1st point. It just happens to be the nicest one as well. The small creek on the back of my property is at 850' elevation. The highest spot where I found the first point is at just under 1,100'.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should look in your creek especially in the bends if it goes down hill. If it has sections where the gravel builds up rake it out after you look on top.

OP
OP
C

CaptFrank2001

May 25, 2014
Rutherfordton, NC
Detector(s) used
My eyes.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I will try that tomorrow. There are a lot of rocks built up in the creek especially on the bends. Thanks !

ptsofnc

Apr 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will try that tomorrow. There are a lot of rocks built up in the creek especially on the bends. Thanks !

If you don't find anything on your first, second, third,.........search, don't give up. There should be artifacts in the creek (here in NC). You have to be patient, develop an eye for spotting, and strategy. There are a lot of posters on this forum who can give you pointers. Enter the phrase "creek search" on this forum and read about tips. Wishing you success.

OP
OP
C

CaptFrank2001

May 25, 2014
Rutherfordton, NC
Detector(s) used
My eyes.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I took the advise I received and did some raking on one small section in a bend in the creek. Now I don't know if what I found is old or not. It has a bit of a pattern on the bottom but it is roughly made. Not sure if it's old or not. Help !

1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG 4.JPG 5.JPG 6.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread