✅ SOLVED Is this a Native American gorget?

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
003.JPG 001.JPG 005.JPG 007.JPG I posted this some time ago as being made out of bone.Someone gave me a tip about clicking it against my teeth saying if it sounds like glass it is not bone,well it sounded like glass and now I am pretty sure it is polished stone.I figured I would take another shot posting it hoping someone can tell me about it.What ever it is it reminds me of a fish or a snakes head?It is pretty light,has two drill holes.If it is a gorget,is there any way to tell it's age/period?thanks. joe

Upvote 0

shawninNY

Oct 2, 2013
Detector(s) used
Xlt/Dfx/BHID , Excaliber, nowCtx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No clue! But awesome

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
DigIron - That's a little bit of an unusual form for a Gorget, but that's certainly what it looks like. The drill holes are conical in shape meaning that they're flint drilled holes. Generally they fall in the late archaic timeframe, maybe 2,500 - 4,000 years old. To be fair though, the oddities in form and in the differences in the two holes, to me, mean that it could be something else altogether. I would be ecstatic to find a piece like what you have. Congrats and welcome to the forum.

AlabamaRelic

Jul 2, 2009
NW Alabama
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I can tell that 3 of those pictures are of the same side. I'm not sure about the 4th pic. If the 4th pic is different, I don't think it was completed.

RelicDude

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2012
north west connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow I know nothing about it but that is really cool.

Sent from my iPod touch using TreasureNet

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know nothing about that object's age or authenticity but it resembles 2 artifacts rolled into one... it has the form of a plummet with the drill holes of a gorget.
The closest I have seen to that is a super nice plummet somebody I know found.
Can you please add some information as to where it was found if you found it what other artifacts were found close by ...ect...
ForumRunner_20140629_213502.png

Last edited:

shawninNY

Oct 2, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GB is yours stone too? Looks polished !

OP
OP
DigIron2

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know nothing about that object's age or authenticity but it resembles 2 artifacts rolled into one... it has the form of a plummet with the drill holes of a gorget.
The closest I have seen to that is a super nice plummet somebody I know found.
Can you please add some information as to where it was found if you found it what other artifacts were found close by ...ect...
View attachment 1016492
That is pretty neat,them crazy indians:laughing7:I see the similarity in the drill holesWild example man:laughing7:That artifact just screams a Pagan culture.very neat piece

Last edited:
OP
OP
DigIron2

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is pretty neat,them crazy indians:laughing7:I see the similarity in the drill holesWild example man:laughing7:
It was found in south eastern West Va,it was something my gran dad aquired .I found it under his bed after he passed.From what I understand is that there was still pure Natives around that area in his time or" his dads time?

Last edited:

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The material looks like claystone I would try looking up claystone gorgets to find similar examples

OP
OP
DigIron2

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The material looks like claystone I would try looking up claystone gorgets to find similar examples
Just looked it upThat's what it is.thank you !

Last edited:
OP
OP
DigIron2

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DigIron - That's a little bit of an unusual form for a Gorget, but that's certainly what it looks like. The drill holes are conical in shape meaning that they're flint drilled holes. Generally they fall in the late archaic timeframe, maybe 2,500 - 4,000 years old. To be fair though, the oddities in form and in the differences in the two holes, to me, mean that it could be something else altogether. I would be ecstatic to find a piece like what you have. Congrats and welcome to the forum.
thank you for the information Twich!that is great good news, very interesting imfo.

Last edited:

shawninNY

Oct 2, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome ,on Long Island we have a lot of native paint pots on our bays shorelines but haven't found any points or tools yet

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
That is a neat looking little piece. I'm guessing it's about 2.5 inches long or so based on the quarter. Most gorgets are 3+ inches long, however there are some very rare examples of miniatures known.

The drilling is also unique. The smaller hole shows more of the conical drilling shown in Woodland (Adena are known for this) and later gorgets, the larger hole shows a little less conical formation, more typical of Glacial Kame and other archaic gorgets. I've seen different drill holes on salvaged pieces.

How thick is it?

OP
OP
DigIron2

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a neat looking little piece. I'm guessing it's about 2.5 inches long or so based on the quarter. Most gorgets are 3+ inches long, however there are some very rare examples of miniatures known.

The drilling is also unique. The smaller hole shows more of the conical drilling shown in Woodland (Adena are known for this) and later gorgets, the larger hole shows a little less conical formation, more typical of Glacial Kame and other archaic gorgets. I've seen different drill holes on salvaged pieces.

How thick is it?
Thanks josh!It is roughly 3/8 thick in the thickest spot in the middle and 2 1/4 long,a little over 3/4 wide.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DigIron2

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome ,on Long Island we have a lot of native paint pots on our bays shorelines but haven't found any points or tools yet
Keep looking man,it must take a good eye to find Native artifacts "I am half blind myself"I have always kept a eye open for Native stuff,but never could find allot hunting for them.Found a few point's in the past,but mostly by accident,"for example, found one working in the garden". This piece I posted was pretty much given to me,I feel it was left there for me to find?I have allot of respect for native hunter's that find this stuff.No machine,except know- how and eyes I guess? damn if I can find the stuff!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread