Can anyone help identify this nice point found in NE Oklahoma? Thanks.

DigginOhio

Greenie
Jun 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

DigginOhio

Greenie
Jun 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's unique to any I've seen. People on Facebook think it's modern but he swears he found it in Red River. I've added a better photo.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the site. It looks perfect! So did he find it on top or while he was digging?

OP
OP
D

DigginOhio

Greenie
Jun 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good question, all I know is that he says he "found it detecting". He's a member of a facebook detecting group and he posted it asking if anyone could tell the type or age. People are saying it may be modern, and that it "doesn't exist" and "if it's real" which he's not liking too much, while others are saying it's a "Bandy" or "Marcos" or similar to points from Texas. I'm an amateur artifact hunter and I've never seen anything like it, looks sorta like "Coshocton" flint to me which comes from nearby here in Ohio..

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
very nice point, very nice indeed

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it looks old to me,how big is it?

OP
OP
D

DigginOhio

Greenie
Jun 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first linked photo has it beside a quarter, maybe 2 1/4 inches tall.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know the type and it is very hard to determine if anything is real or not just by a picture on a comp IMO. Hope its real, rock

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i noticed the barbs come past the base,could be normal where found but i do not see it much,could be because it was reworked long ago though

OP
OP
D

DigginOhio

Greenie
Jun 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's what I told him, it's definitely not a typical corner-notch, and it's bifurcate with near-perfect symmetry. I've looked through thousands of images and haven't seen anything quite like it.

Last edited:

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
its a nice one and thanks for sharing

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
The 11th edition of Overstreet's Indian Arrowhead Guide has pictured a very similar looking point that is identified as a "Pelican Lake" dated to 3500-2200 years before present. Most of the Pelican Lake's they show pictures of do not have the concave base like that one, but a couple of them do, and one of them looks very much like your friends.

OP
OP
D

DigginOhio

Greenie
Jun 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info. Funny you mentioned it because I just ordered a copy of that very book on Ebay the other day, right after I posted this. Thanks.

Nature Nate

Jun 12, 2010
Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, L-rods, Pendulums
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice find!!!

I hunt the north Texas areas and some of the southern Oklahoma areas as well. I have found a few of these points...Although, I've never found one complete and in such great condition!!!

Its a Rockwall Arrow Point or bird point as some call them around here. Very nice piece!!!

Thank you for sharing!!!

Nature Nate

Nature Nate

Jun 12, 2010
Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its a Rockwall Arrow point... I find them in the north Texas and Southern Oklahoma area.. very nice piece!!!

Nature Nate

Nature Nate

Jun 12, 2010
Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I need to retract

Correction, Southeast Oklahoma. A fellow treasure hunter on Facebook found it while detecting in OK. and I thought I'd try to help him by posting his photo here. I think it's a really nice one and I can't find one like it anywhere online.
imgur: the simple image sharer a better photo: imgur: the simple image sharer

I did state it was a Rockwall point/ bird point...Although, I just read that it was 2 1/2" long then say the other photo....No I am unsure... It has all the shape and angle and barbs of a Rockwall Bird point/ arrow point. Yet, it is about and inch and half to long...Still is impressive to say the least!!!

Sorry, for the confusion :-/

Nature Nate

Red Earth

Jul 29, 2013
This piece is a bit different but there is a resemblance to them. I found it in Illinois. It's the only one I've ever found with that type of tail and exaggerated ears

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20140918_103353.png
    ForumRunner_20140918_103353.png
    260.8 KB · Views: 95

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread