Possible Native American artifacts?

TheTh3rd

Jun 24, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm new here so sorry if I'm doing anything wrong:) I live in the sequatchie valley in tennessee and recently found numerous items. I took them to the geology deparent at the local college and he said that they look man made but he doesn't know why they seem "smelted" . The last 3 pics are what he said could be a dagger/spear handle. It kind of looks like a bird??? Any help would be appreciated

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    241.8 KB · Views: 159
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 359
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    326.4 KB · Views: 667
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    365.8 KB · Views: 371
Upvote 0

duggap

Bronze Member
Dec 11, 2007
Chattanooga, TN
Detector(s) used
Tosoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Spent a little time in the river there with some good results. I think what you have are nature made. Water flowing can do a lot of strange things to rocks.

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello there TheTh3rd, welcome to Treasure Net. You will get more responses to this post if submitted over in the "North American Indian Artifacts", forum, maybe one of the website administrators can convert it over to that forum for you?
Unfortunately the items you have photographed look like interesting naturally formed rocks rather than man made or modified Indian artifacts. The only exception I see is the light grey, smooth looking rock, in the group photo, setting up on top of the larger rock with the depression in it. The rock on the top looks like it could have been used as a hammer stone or grinding stone. The end looks like it could be a little chipped off, or ground off, indicating possible us by humans. The other rocks from what I can do not look to be like artifacts that have been modified by humans.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look like Geofacts to me....

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Bottom row, 5th from the right side, I'd like to get a better look at that one. Otherwise it looks to me like you have a bunch of interesting
rocks.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They all look natural to me. I wonder why a geologist couldn't see that they are naturally formed? He thought they had been smelted??

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Something doesn't sound quite right about that geologist.
99% of them are absolutely natural I only see two pieces of flint.. They're probably both reduction flakes.. The one circled in blue could possibly be a crude little scraper... Or nothing at all those are your two best chances

ForumRunner_20140709_220747.png

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
Look like Geofacts to me....

Something doesn't sound quite right about that geologist.
99% of them are absolutely natural I only see two pieces of flint.. They're probably both reduction flakes.. The one circled in blue could possibly be a crude little scraper... Or nothing at all those are your two best chances

View attachment 1020621

welcome to the treasurenet....you can learn a lot here.....the members have taught me a lot

i have to agree that they are all just odd shaped geofacts

the one circled in yellow has a bit of a spokeshave look to it but?

i wonder what that geologist was thinking?
those 3 pictures on the right remind me of the hematite we find here in north dakota...it sure can take on some crazy looking shapes

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What do you call a doctor who graduates dead last in his class? Answer: Doctor. It is probably the same with geologists.

OP
OP
T

TheTh3rd

Jun 24, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He said alot of them are natural, but some look modified. Especially the "dagger handle." He called it a multi purpose tool?? I'm also finding alot of heavy/rusty rocks with small stones stuck on it... They all have holes going through them, and one still had the "thread" through it, ill post the pics as soon as I get home. Here are a few other pics I have saved on my phone.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    801.9 KB · Views: 146
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    935 KB · Views: 120
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    898.1 KB · Views: 133
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    439.3 KB · Views: 103
OP
OP
T

TheTh3rd

Jun 24, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What causes the vivid red color to occur on the rocks... I want to dismiss them as natural but to many are similar shape, size and texture and I'm finding them by the handful

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The fact that so many are similar in size and shape and you're finding them by the handful is proof positive that they are natural.. Not the other way around.
The red color is caused by iron in the groundwater

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not going to try to identify exactly everything you have shown up to this point one of the last ones looks like a rusty piece of metal maybe from a boat or some plumbing either way none of them are Native American artifacts just being honest with you

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What causes the vivid red color to occur on the rocks... I want to dismiss them as natural but to many are similar shape, size and texture and I'm finding them by the handful

Probably iron ore it will appear red or it could be Hematite. Welcome to the site, rock

OP
OP
T

TheTh3rd

Jun 24, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the info! I wanted it to be from a lost indian tribe:) what causes such a big cavity in some and weird shapes in otherss

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
remember too, most North American artifacts have an obvious function and you would never have to ask if they were worked...

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for all the info! I wanted it to be from a lost indian tribe:) what causes such a big cavity in some and weird shapes in otherss

most of the time what you are talking about are caused by fossils
like TH says; all are geofacts

no one here means any disrespect.......they are just trying to help you see the dif

try to train your eye to focus on glassy looking rock that has been flaked or stone with a high silica content
it takes a while to train your eye

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions