Finally found some nice stuff

Jun 17, 2014
WV
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Here's some nice but kinda rough tools... I came across these all with 20 foot of each other at the same place I've been finding the small effigy pieces and "painted rocks".... Seems like I came across a cashe of tools the way the were buried under the same cliff face.. I started digging under a small stack of stones and hit pay dirt....:laughing7: I need help with information on the large dinner plate size stone... It seems like it could have been secured to a handle the way the back part has sorta a wedge shape that could be secured to a large handle. The cutting end has some sharp area and the large hammer piece at the top....I included pics of the surface and back of the stone that shows stress fractures along the side that is evidence of use.... I also need help with information on the notched stone that I put several pics of.....it is a worked stone but the notch baffles me... Could it have been secured to leather type strap or some sort of strap that could be swung or thrown or something? Thanks for any help. I have other pics of pieces I found in a creek bank..... They are all stained and not made of the granite these tools are made of. I'll post them later.

Attachments

• photjjko 3.JPG
    photjjko 3.JPG
    78.3 KB · Views: 117
  • photgghgo 5.JPG
    photgghgo 5.JPG
    90.9 KB · Views: 88
  • photom 1.JPG
    photom 1.JPG
    70.5 KB · Views: 97
  • photfffo 4.JPG
    photfffo 4.JPG
    66.3 KB · Views: 96
  • photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    84.2 KB · Views: 108
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    77.9 KB · Views: 104
  • photjkko 2.JPG
    photjkko 2.JPG
    97.6 KB · Views: 104
  • photojjj 3.JPG
    photojjj 3.JPG
    72.4 KB · Views: 99
  • phhhhoto 3.JPG
    phhhhoto 3.JPG
    103.7 KB · Views: 96
  • phjjjjoto 1.JPG
    phjjjjoto 1.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 97
  • phokllto 3.JPG
    phokllto 3.JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 91
  • photovvbj 5.JPG
    photovvbj 5.JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 95
  • phjkkjkoto 1.JPG
    phjkkjkoto 1.JPG
    70.4 KB · Views: 88
  • phhhhjoto 4.JPG
    phhhhjoto 4.JPG
    74.2 KB · Views: 86
  • photkklo 4.JPG
    photkklo 4.JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 94
  • photttyo 1.JPG
    photttyo 1.JPG
    73.6 KB · Views: 89
  • photmmo 2.JPG
    photmmo 2.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 89
  • phjmmoto 5.JPG
    phjmmoto 5.JPG
    75.9 KB · Views: 85
  • phohhhto 5.JPG
    phohhhto 5.JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 88
  • phofgjto 5.JPG
    phofgjto 5.JPG
    99.9 KB · Views: 97
  • pbnhoto 3.JPG
    pbnhoto 3.JPG
    314.2 KB · Views: 92
  • photkko 3.JPG
    photkko 3.JPG
    70.5 KB · Views: 91
Upvote 0

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With all due respect, I really don't see any possible artifacts that have been altered by man. They all appear to be regular natural rocks. You might want to research your area for an area where artifacts have been previously found.
Good Luck! :icon_thumright:

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, but I don't see any artifacts at all. They are all naturally formed and fractured stones. Nothing you pictured shows evidence of being altered by man.

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
hello my friend
if you have a spot by a cliff look for an overhang or some kinda natural sheltered spot and you might have some luck
please do not feel any disrespect from the two previous posts....i know them well and i can say they are just making an effort to help
i look forward to seeing you find some flaked glasslike type stone artifacts so keep us posted
chris you can learn a lot here .....i know that i sure have
if you want to message me i might be able to direct you to some spots to hunt

larson1951

OP
OP
C
Jun 17, 2014
WV
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sorry My friends.... But I have found almost exact other artifacts that are shaped exactly as mine and of the same material being displayed across the area and examples can be found at other places if YOU research my area, as I have.... Stone like this was common to use around here. I just hate that you cannot see these in person... My pics are phone taken and they kinda suck but you would be able to see the way these were worked to have grooves and edges that area obvious yet not as pretty as the smoothed "ceremonial" type rocks... These were obviously concerned more about utility than cosmetics of the tools and very old. Look again and just maybe you might be able to find something that catches your eye.... The largest stone has markings scratched into it of small circles, lines and triangle type marking with other hard to see marking that have been scratched in to along with a small bird effigy that is pretty easy to see but small. I didn't want to go there on the first post cause I new there are some on here that don't like to see effigy markings on stones and always respond negatively to these type of artifacts that are always "re-identified" as nothing but rocks even thou the effigy markings are OBVIOUS when viewed.....maybe you just have to see these in person. Large smooth and pretty flint tools are not common in my area also..... Search around on the web and you will see other examples of what I have mostly around southern WV and the Ohio Valley. Thanks for your opinion thou. And I do respect your knowledge of artifacts and not posting on here to get in to a "shoot out" with people who are experts of stuff in their area and around the country. Over an out. Pino

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hello pino,im with ya,but i love to see anything from w.va.us modern men take things for granted.such as a flat surface,bet they didnt have much flat surfaces back then.

Red Earth

Jul 29, 2013
Hello pino,
I would really like to see the artifacts in your area that look just like yours. Would you mind posting some of them??

OP
OP
C
Jun 17, 2014
WV
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Here's some examples of artifacts similar to mine in their appearance and material from Ohio Valley to Southern WV....
Hope you like, Red Earth

Attachments

• 1_e2f4856ff3fd7c6ca5ff943401bb60bc.jpg
    1_e2f4856ff3fd7c6ca5ff943401bb60bc.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 276
  • 100_1556.jpg
    100_1556.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 72
  • 108483682_native-american-carved-stone-axe-head-auglaize-co-ohio-.jpg
    108483682_native-american-carved-stone-axe-head-auglaize-co-ohio-.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 291
  • 120499d1355884344-help-identifying-stone-tool-img_3033.jpg
    120499d1355884344-help-identifying-stone-tool-img_3033.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 73
  • 25852310.jpg
    25852310.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 62
  • 2012_0606_171209AA.jpg
    2012_0606_171209AA.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 75
  • 351076788183_1.jpg
    351076788183_1.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 75
  • AH2b.jpg
    AH2b.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 290
  • AH2d.jpg
    AH2d.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 277
  • axe1.jpg
    axe1.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 67
  • axe10-AXthmb.jpg
    axe10-AXthmb.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 281
  • BAND17054_axe_exb.jpg
    BAND17054_axe_exb.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 79

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Prehistory of West Virginia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

https://www.facebook.com/ThePrehistoryOfLincolnCountyWv

Chris, I have been collecting for almost 50 years and I am willing to put my knowledge up against almost anyone. I have artifacts from West Virgina and I have seen collections from all parts of the state and what you have are not artifacts. No matter what part of the state they are found in they will still show evidence of being altered by flaking, pecking, and grinding and your stones show none of those traits. Not trying to be a smart alec, just trying to help you out.

Go through those links above and see what WV artifacts look like and learn what to look for.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of what you posted above are truly artifacts and show obvious flaking patterns, pecking, and grinding marks. None of yours above have these traits.

painterx7

Silver Member
Jul 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm gonna say I agree with grim I've heard and seen some sites where NA would gather up pieces of deteriorated limestone to grind up and use in pottery that would be the only possible thing those pieces could of been used for they are all natural sorry keep looking u will find something real

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chris, I hope you don't get discouraged by our assessments of your pieces. You definitely have the desire and the passion for finding artifacts. Keep at it and you will start finding some good pieces.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Chris wrote:

".. My pics are phone taken and they kinda suck but you would be able to see the way these were worked to have grooves and edges that area obvious yet not as pretty as the smoothed "ceremonial" type rocks... These were obviously concerned more about utility than cosmetics of the tools and very old. Look again and just maybe you might be able to find something that catches your eye.... "

Chris, one thing to keep in mind, esp. if one is still fairly new to artifact recognition/collecting is that forums like TNet will have hundreds of years of combined experienced opinions. Better photos won't change those opinions. Eyes far more experienced then your own eyes can easily recognize when rocks are rocks, and show no alteration by man. What you perceive to be "work" is not work at all. So, one of the things you need to learn is to not misidentify as a sign of human alteration something that does not show alteration by human hands at all. Signs of pecking, grinding, flaking, all these signs are missing on your examples. And, for the most part, they are not missing on the genuine artifacts from your area that you show further into the thread. Don't make the mistake of thinking we just need to see what you see. You're actually not seeing what you think you're seeing is the true situation here, it's not a question of better photos will show us what you think you see. It's a common mistake, and real artifacts are in your future I'm sure.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread