rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there any way to determine if there is a dollar value to an arrowhead or point?

Are you looking to buy or sell? Welcome to the forum, rock

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's really hard to put a price on any artifact because they are worth what someone is willing to pay. I have been to auctions were things I didn't think would go very high went for ridiculous prices and I've been to some where just the opposite happened. It depends on who is at the auction and how bad someone wants something.

Price guides usually have highly inflated prices and aren't very reliable in my opinion.

You could post a picture here and probably get as good an answer as you would get anywhere else.

OP
OP
M

mowyre

Jul 14, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the replies. I was just curious about the agate arrowhead I posted last week. I talked to a local guy who told me he had been searching for over 40 years and had "never found anything like that". It got me wondering if it had any value. I don't have much of a collection, just that point, another arrowhead, many chips and possible paint pots. I may have to look into where I could attend a show to have them looked at! Thanks again.

OP
OP
M

mowyre

Jul 14, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...also, I looked on Ebay and see that some have COA's. How would I go about getting one if I am the one who found the arrow head? (or is that even necessary?)

OP
OP
M

mowyre

Jul 14, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only reason to obtain a COA would be if you are planning on selling it later.

If there is value, I would be interested in selling. I will repost a pic, if you wouldn't mind telling me what you think...

OP
OP
M

mowyre

Jul 14, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Arrowhead.jpg A1.jpg A2.jpg

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where is it from? It has a Paleo look to it but I don't know western types very well and it looks western to me. Wyoming, Montana, maybe?

Is the one ear damaged or just worked that way?

OP
OP
M

mowyre

Jul 14, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where is it from? It has a Paleo look to it but I don't know western types very well and it looks western to me. Wyoming, Montana, maybe?
Is the one ear damaged or just worked that way?

Yep, Wyoming

I am not sure if damaged or worked that way. I don't know much about them at all.... I wish I did!!

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not good at IDing western types. There are to many variations of Point types for me to keep up with. Some I know but that one I'm not sure. It Could be a McKean, but don't hold me to that.

OP
OP
M

mowyre

Jul 14, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks anyway - I appreciate you looking at it!

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there any way to determine if there is a dollar value to an arrowhead or point?

As was aforementioned, value usually pertains to how much someone is willing to pay. But value also depends on quality of the material that the artifact is made of, and the workmanship in the flaking also plays a part in value. (Eye appeal) Sometimes a certain collector is wanting to purchase a certain point that is worked from a particular color of material.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the replies. I was just curious about the agate arrowhead I posted last week. I talked to a local guy who told me he had been searching for over 40 years and had "never found anything like that". It got me wondering if it had any value. I don't have much of a collection, just that point, another arrowhead, many chips and possible paint pots. I may have to look into where I could attend a show to have them looked at! Thanks again.

The person that was interested might give you a great price cause he wants it for his collection. Sell only if you need the money. I have to warn you when I first started collecting I didn't really care much on them so I did sell some of mine. I do regret it now cause I would like to see some of my first finds from back then now in frames but its to late now. It takes a very long time to find a trophy point in my area they just aren't laying around anymore. Your point might be the only great find from your area that you ever find if you keep hunting. You might regret it later, rock

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
you can find points for sale on ebay all day long....but you can't just go take a walk and do the same thing.

OP
OP
M

mowyre

Jul 14, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the replies, all. My husband told me last week he would give me $100.00 for it, and last night he upped it to $500.00. How does it work to sell to your spouse?! Nobody gets ahead! LOL - I will probably plan on keeping it, as it is pretty cool, and maybe see if I can't start a collection! I found this today (I know it isn't Indian related, but still cool!)
fossil.jpg
Maybe I could put all my "treasures" together in some sort of cool frame!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions