Central Va
Detector(s) used
T2SE
DFX
XLT
GPX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I was doing some detecting scouting on a colonial road when this point yelled at me. I almost didn't pick it up because the color lol

This material is quite green and slightly translucent do I'm thinking perhaps a flint or jasper neither if which are native to my area of VA.
Usually I find quartz points as shown from my last hunt here. And if I go in the mountains I'll find corser material there but this one is just kewl

image-3649392700.jpg

image-714726399.jpg

image-1596890240.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
jamesbibb

jamesbibb

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2009
Central Va
Detector(s) used
T2SE
DFX
XLT
GPX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's a really sweet point...good eye! I find a lot of quartz too and they are very similar to your quartz points. Are you a SCV?

I guess by definition I am for sure
But not officially
My local chapters while great ones require a lot of time commitment of which I am short on these days. I serve on 2 different boards, work 40hrs week have 3 kids , several rental properties and operate a farm stead so any time I get to myself I'm diggin!

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat point
Looks like high grade Ryholite

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hard for me to say on the material I find so much different types here and colors. Im not sure if we have Rhyolite here or not. It sure is a nice looking point!

OP
OP
jamesbibb

jamesbibb

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2009
Central Va
Detector(s) used
T2SE
DFX
XLT
GPX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice, great find. I have heard of translucent green Quartz found in southern VA. Thanks for the view, H.H.
Thanks
That may well be the source of it by trade then, this stone has almost a waxy feel to it so I'm unsure of quartz or not

theviking

Bronze Member
Aug 29, 2009
Blue ridge mts, Virginia
Primary Interest:
Other
Apparently there is a belt of blue/green Quartz that runs north and south through the middle of the state, who knew? One of the main attributes is a very "waxy luster", so says, Micheal A. Wise, in a lengthy PDF published by The Division of Mineral Resources. I also have some Smokey Quartz examples that also feel very waxy, much more so than the Milky and Vein Quartz pieces that I have. Having been found in central VA, its tough to say exactly what it might be. Lots of different minerals available in that area. Good luck.

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sweet point find there James !!

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool Find! :icon_thumright: As I have said, "You find them where you find them."

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread