Odd Tool

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
I am just fascinated with the variety of tools, and utilized flakes out there, from large to small. I see some interesting similarities in these pieces, and rocks post got me thinking about them, so I thought I would share.

Anyone have any ideas? I have mine, but will save them for now.

The knife river flint piece center pic, was the first I aqcuired from North Dakota. The first pic, the largest one, came off e-bay, and is from Kentucky. The the smallest example came from Minnesota and was an e-bay find too. They, for the most part, are worked all the way around except for an area on the KRF piece..

DSCN3559.JPG DSCN3557.JPG

DSCN3539.JPG DSCN3540.JPG

DSCN3541.JPG DSCN3542.JPG

Upvote 0

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Personally I think you're thinking way too much into them.
Most of their shape came by chance in the way the flake came off to begin with and from some sharpening...not.. by shaping a "tail" and so forth.
Just a flake knapped on to complete a quick task... Scraping..cutting..shaving..ect..ect..
You been reading to many eBay descriptions?

speaking of which, I have shown this little bladelet before and I marvel at the way it fits in my fingertips...you know "it fits in my hand" blah blah blah....but I gotta wonder, is it by design or all by chance. this little beauty has a place for my thumb and the tip of my fore finger making it as exact as a surgeons knife.

Attachments

• DSC06007.JPG
    DSC06007.JPG
    144.8 KB · Views: 65
  • DSC06002.JPG
    DSC06002.JPG
    159.8 KB · Views: 63
  • DSC06005.JPG
    DSC06005.JPG
    203 KB · Views: 62
OP
OP
quito

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Well, I am pretty sure they didn't like getting their fingers cut, and also needed to be able to firmly grip different cutting tools that weren't halfted. So, allowing, or making a provisions on their tools sounds reasonable to me.

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cool tools, often over looked.

I wish I would have kept worked edge pieces like those, generally I tossed them back, unless they were exceptionally nice.

Lone Star

Jan 6, 2010
North of the Balcones Escarpment
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Fellas, It's a variety of fleshing tool for cutting around sinew and bone. Look at the mechanical advantage when you hold it.
Like everything else ancient I'm sure it had a multi purpose availability as well as the thought out intended use.
That first picture is a beaut!!
I'm a tool guy, and some of those are really cool.
Thanks for showing. Lone Star

OP
OP
quito

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Hey Fellas, It's a variety of fleshing tool for cutting around sinew and bone. Look at the mechanical advantage when you hold it.
Like everything else ancient I'm sure it had a multi purpose availability as well as the thought out intended use.
That first picture is a beaut!!
I'm a tool guy, and some of those are really cool.
Thanks for showing. Lone Star

Thanks for chiming in Lone. Luckily, I have kept just about every utilized flake, and tool. And I sure am glad I did.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Allot of mystery tools out there that is for sure.

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
Lighten up dude.
1320 and pickaway .. I see you liked that comment.
That's cute I've personally found so many of these type tools I can't imagine buying them from eBay nevermind asking rhetorical questions about them.
Everyone that made a comment said exactly the same thing I did.

And you have a problem with this? For what it's worth, I liked the post for this comment "They are a multi purpose tool, that includes a scraper, graver, and different sized spokeshaves. Completely different than those common flake blades you bombed the thread with." Get over yourself Dude.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally I think you're thinking way too much into them.
Most of their shape came by chance in the way the flake came off to begin with and from some sharpening...not.. by shaping a "tail" and so forth.
Just a flake knapped on to complete a quick task... Scraping..cutting..shaving..ect..ect..
You been reading to many eBay descriptions?

Ta DA!

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK.. Over myself now.. That feels better thanks

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why ask for opinions when only yours is the one you want to hear?

OP
OP
quito

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Are you just trying to get your post count up for the week or what?

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
Why ask for opinions when only yours is the one you want to hear?

Never hurts to interject/facilitate and otherwise nurture a thread along. Helps us come up with new thoughts and ideas instead of the old worn out lines "they were so simple and everything they manufactured was simple, coincidental, or accidental." It's quite possible that the OPs tools were in fact created to serve a purpose that we haven't thought of yet.

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
I would be remiss now if I didn't offer my thoughts on these tools. I think that either could have been used as a hewning tool. I've seen remnants of some nicely shaped & smoothed Native American poles before....just a thought.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread