Odd Tool

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
I am just fascinated with the variety of tools, and utilized flakes out there, from large to small. I see some interesting similarities in these pieces, and rocks post got me thinking about them, so I thought I would share.

Anyone have any ideas? I have mine, but will save them for now.

The knife river flint piece center pic, was the first I aqcuired from North Dakota. The first pic, the largest one, came off e-bay, and is from Kentucky. The the smallest example came from Minnesota and was an e-bay find too. They, for the most part, are worked all the way around except for an area on the KRF piece..

DSCN3559.JPG DSCN3557.JPG

DSCN3539.JPG DSCN3540.JPG

DSCN3541.JPG DSCN3542.JPG

Upvote 0

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As for the knife-river flint piece, it looks like a large spall that was utilized as a flake knife. And your artifact in the first photo may have been the same but was reworked to sharpen it.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice flake knives... looks like one was also used as a spoke shave.

ForumRunner_20140725_144646.png

ForumRunner_20140725_144723.png

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That 1st one is big enough to be a saw or a sickle for small limbs or tall grass.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ebay? personally I would only trust what I dug with my own boney fingers

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pretty big dia.maybe for poles.i have a broken tool shaped like the bottom one

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
utility knives, multi purpose like different blades on a pocket knife.

painterx7

Silver Member
Jul 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Given the fact the first one came from Kentucky is why it's so large . I go along with gator on flake blades . I believe these were multi purpose butchering / skinning tools . That big blade would make scraping a large hide a lot faster here are some I have found that resemble the first one

Attachments

• image-1517140024.jpg
    image-1517140024.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 79
  • image-3769690965.jpg
    image-3769690965.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 80
  • image-317148278.jpg
    image-317148278.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 87
  • image-1872043067.jpg
    image-1872043067.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 86
OP
OP
quito

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
ebay? personally I would only trust what I dug with my own boney fingers

Yes sir! Good place to find some nice stuff! Often cheap too! You just have to know what you are looking at, and who you are dealing with. OH, and return policies are usually just incredible when you buy from there.

You are too trusting.... I hunted artifacts a couple weeks ago with an older gentleman who told me how he would salt a field before he took groups of youths. "Just to make sure they found something".

OP
OP
quito

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Given the fact the first one came from Kentucky is why it's so large . I go along with gator on flake blades . I believe these were multi purpose butchering / skinning tools . That big blade would make scraping a large hide a lot faster here are some I have found that resemble the first one

The first one surely is a multi-purpose flake blade, spokeshave, the other 2 are not blades, but more of a scraping type of implement. They are thick, and the fat end resembles the working edge of the thumbscrapers/endscrapers that are so common. Another thing they all have in common is they have or had a graver spur. The KRF piece shows a very nice one on the tail, the other small one has one same spot, but it is worn down. The big one has one too, but it is at the wide end, and has been worn well too.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally I think you're thinking way too much into them.
Most of their shape came by chance in the way the flake came off to begin with and from some sharpening...not.. by shaping a "tail" and so forth.
Just a flake knapped on to complete a quick task... Scraping..cutting..shaving..ect..ect..
You been reading to many eBay descriptions?

Last edited:
OP
OP
quito

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Showing how little you Really know again I see.

I know how flakes come off, and I also know how edges are worked to form pieces for appearance and to preform different tasks. As far as any tail goes, I was merely referring to the narrow end. And what is this so forth???

They are a multi purpose tool, that includes a scraper, graver, and different sized spokeshaves. Completely different than those common flake blades you bombed the thread with.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lighten up dude.
1320 and pickaway .. I see you liked that comment.
That's cute I've personally found so many of these type tools I can't imagine buying them from eBay nevermind asking rhetorical questions about them.
Everyone that made a comment said exactly the same thing I did.

Last edited:

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Showing how little you Really know again I see.

I know how flakes come off, and I also know how edges are worked to form pieces for appearance and to preform different tasks. As far as any tail goes, I was merely referring to the narrow end. And what is this so forth???

They are a multi purpose tool, that includes a scraper, graver, and different sized spokeshaves. Completely different than those common flake blades you bombed the thread with.

Why did you ask?

Last edited:
OP
OP
quito

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Why do you have to edit every post?

Is it that hard to say to what you mean and stick with it?

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mostly I'm on the Go and use my cell phone that has talk to text so I have to go back through and fix a bunch of words that came out wrong.
..... And yes sometimes what I want to say would end my time on treasurenet so I have to reword a lot of things sometimes getting rid of them altogether.
You definitely get the watered down PG version of me here that's for sure

painterx7

Silver Member
Jul 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mostly I'm on the Go and use my cell phone that has talk to text so I have to go back through and fix a bunch of words that came out wrong. ..... And yes sometimes what I want to say would end my time on treasurenet so I have to reword a lot of things sometimes getting rid of them altogether. You definitely get the watered down PG version of me here that's for sure
haha I like this post

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions