Savannah River spear point heartbreaker

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well this pretty thing floated up when I was raking a spot in the creek and then I found the shard later on this evening. The kewl thing is the spear point is made from banded rhylolite and hoping later on the tip will show up. I have a question...what do you guys use to keep them shiny?

WP_20140727_001.jpg WP_20140727_005.jpg WP_20140727_006.jpg WP_20140727_008.jpg WP_20140727_012.jpg

Upvote 0

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The wet image is what makes me lean in my direction

ForumRunner_20140728_211107.png

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW Peaches....that's a really nice find, know you must be super happy! I've used the mineral oil on some things, and just put some other pretty rock material in a pretty water container so you can enjoy the "wet" look. lol I've been pretty much MIA on here lately....been hanging out posting "wildlife" since it's been that time of the year. But finally found something to post here...yippie :hello2:

painterx7

Silver Member
Jul 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet find peaches thanks for sharing !!!

theviking

Bronze Member
Aug 29, 2009
Blue ridge mts, Virginia
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice find, great material. When I first viewed this post I would have bet a dollar the material was Quartzite, now I'm leaning towards Ryholite. The link is from VA, but the material is from NC. Its not the nice green banded stuff shown in this post, but much more course than the Ryholite I'm used to seeing, and hinges, who's ever seen hinges on Ryholite.. I think its the color that makes me lean towards Ryholite, never seen Quartzite banded in green.

Wolf Den Mountain Rhyolite-Uwharrie Mountains

SCrocks

May 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The wet image is what makes me lean in my direction

View attachment 1029996

I do admit the color with the bands and all do look like rhyolite. And there are some different rhyolites out there with different looks but in these parts you will hardly every find any that coarse of grain and translucent. The color on hers comes from the minerals in the water. Go in any of bath room around here and if the sink or shower drips there will be a green/blue stain in most. In Western York County quartz is everywhere. The creeks are slam full of it just like that. I'll get a few pictures next time I'm out that way. Not trying to argue just seen it all my life.

OP
OP
NCPeaches

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do admit the color with the bands and all do look like rhyolite. And there are some different rhyolites out there with different looks but in these parts you will hardly every find any that coarse of grain and translucent. The color on hers comes from the minerals in the water. Go in any of bath room around here and if the sink or shower drips there will be a green/blue stain in most. In Western York County quartz is everywhere. The creeks are slam full of it just like that. I'll get a few pictures next time I'm out that way. Not trying to argue just seen it all my life.

Are you thinking it's smokey quartz maybe?

Here are some better pics and other points I've found in the same creek.

100_7900.JPG 100_7902.JPG

Last edited:

SCrocks

May 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are nice points. I don't know all the proper names of quartz but some of the quartz has bands of different quartz running through it. That is what I think the one in question is.I always just call it banded quartz. Lots of different colored quartz around here. Some can have a pink look. Some has a blue look and some the smokey look. Then the rose colored quartz and a bunch of inbetweens. Lots of times if it's been in the creek the minerials in the water can give it a cool looking sheen color to it. Sometime it don't seem to effect it much or just a dull dirty look.. Thanks

Last edited:
OP
OP
NCPeaches

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is what I've found out today after doing extensive research. We do not have that type of quartz in this area. In this link: Uwharries Lithics Conference: Lee Novick Slide 18 is what the stone is and it's known as Porphorytic rhyolite. Porphorytic rhyolite is dark to light gray and exhibits well-formed phenocrysts or mineral crystals of quartz, feldspar, or plagioclase.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread