Possible Native American Ring?

w0otiez

May 21, 2013
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this ring in the woods right next to what looked like a very old and large tree.The tree was set off the path in the woods and up on a slope. I also found what seemed to be some type of rusty ax head or other farming tool directly beside it. Although I don't have a picture of the ax head, I don't know where it even is come to think of it... Native Americans once lived in the area. The ring looks pretty old to me when you look closer you can tell the shape of the circle/oval on the front side is kind of irregular. The welding on the inside is very noticeable. And I would think it would have to be bronze, because wouldn't copper erode in a much worse way than this did? It still has a bit of shine to it. Also the symbol on the front seems like a depiction of wheat. This area in particular was a well known storage area for their corn and wheat. It was burnt down along with their village in the late 1600's by the French. I don't know if anyone here has any knowledge of native american relics, particularly the Ganondagan Indians.

20140728_025148.jpg 20140728_025158.jpg 20140728_025311.jpg

Upvote 0

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would guess Brass for the material, not sure on the origin of it.

S

stefen

Wasn't aware that NA's had knowledge of metal work of any kind...more than likely relates to the europeans

Glenn C

Nov 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It looks like a Jesuit ring to me. If so it would have come over with fur traders. That ax is the gem if you can find it. Would have makers marks on it if you restore it. I can help if your not sure how to. Need to see the ax to date it. I would guess 1700s.

I have a similar one. I believe the earlier ones are hand designed unlike the later cast rings.

Post picture of anything else from there please in the fur trade forum under artifacts.

Nice.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I agree with Glenn C. That is most likely a Jesuit trade ring; either 17th or 18th century, depending on when the Onondaga village was occupied.

OP
OP
W

w0otiez

May 21, 2013
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I didn't think the Native Americans worked with metal either, but then again I don't know too much about them. I will try and find the ax, if that's even what it is. I showed my dad and he seems to think it looks more like some type of scythe,sickle or possible even some sort of tomahawk. It's pretty eroded but from what I remember it still had the brace type thing where it would be mounted to the handle.

Glenn C

Nov 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Love to see it. The Natives did work with metal. You have Archaic copper which is thousands of years old and kettle metal objects which were cut from kettles and metal brought over between late 1500s to 1850 in fur trade era. Check the fur trade section and you will see what I mean.

Thanks for taking the time to take a photo.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pre-contact N/As did not have the ability to fashion objects from metal by any other means than hammering native copper. They did not cast nor solder. They did not make alloys such as brass or bronze. Items made from kettles or scrap were also only hammered items and post contact. Ring was made by and probably worn by whitey.

Glenn C

Nov 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sorry you are wrong about items only fashioned post contact. Not the case. I have a obvious example. Only pre contact hammering from what I've seen.

I have three rings fashioned by natives.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread