Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2012
north west connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
latly i have been walking brooks and streams in search of native artifacts to no avail. Im from litchfeild county in connecticut and i know that the natives in the area were nomadic. A few weeks ago i got a lead from an old timer in area that theres a brook that he found artifacts when he was younger, where the brook empties into the farmington river. I know flint isnt found in my part of the state but walking the brook yesterday i found what i think is flint. one of the pieces looks like it may have been worked but its been tumbled by the running water so i dont know. Are these just flakes? are they nothing? am i getting close? Is there anyone on here that is familiar with my region? Thanks so much guys in advance im hungry for knowledge and i want to learn.- Justin native rock 2.jpeg native rock 1.jpeg nativ rock 3.jpeg

Upvote 0

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I cant really tell from the pictures you've got here. Good luck and keep hunting. It is just a matter of time until you find one.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hard to tell cant enlarge the pics to see.

OP
OP
RelicDude

RelicDude

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2012
north west connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for looking guys. Ill have a friend take some better pics for me and I'll post them. Photography is not my strong suit lol.

Sent from my iPod touch using TreasureNet

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
RelicDude, I know our mutual region, southern New England, very well. My advice: get out of the streams and look in cultivated fields near fresh water. I also have a friend who successfully hunts the Ct. Long Island shoreline. In our region, yes, natives were nomadic in Paleo times. But for at least 10,000 years, natives lived in the region year round. The fields near fresh water is where you will find habitation sites. Farmer plows those sites up, rain washes the field, and volla, arrowheads show up. Not quite that easy, but in Ct. hunting stream beds will never be as productive as fields and beaches, especially beaches adjacent to salt water estuaries, rich in resources, or where rivers and streams enter the Sound. That last piece you show looks like it could be Normanskill flint, a common NY flint found in our region. Other pieces might be Onondaga flint, also from NY. The guy didn't give you bum advice. You find artifacts where they have been found before. But, best bet is look for farms with fresh water sources and get permission from owners to walk their fields. Good luck.

OP
OP
RelicDude

RelicDude

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2012
north west connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RelicDude, I know our mutual region, southern New England, very well. My advice: get out of the streams and look in cultivated fields near fresh water. I also have a friend who successfully hunts the Ct. Long Island shoreline. In our region, yes, natives were nomadic in Paleo times. But for at least 10,000 years, natives lived in the region year round. The fields near fresh water is where you will find habitation sites. Farmer plows those sites up, rain washes the field, and volla, arrowheads show up. Not quite that easy, but in Ct. hunting stream beds will never be as productive as fields and beaches, especially beaches adjacent to salt water estuaries, rich in resources, or where rivers and streams enter the Sound. That last piece you show looks like it could be Normanskill flint, a common NY flint found in our region. Other pieces might be Onondaga flint, also from NY. The guy didn't give you bum advice. You find artifacts where they have been found before. But, best bet is look for farms with fresh water sources and get permission from owners to walk their fields. Good luck.

Thank you charl for the advice. I've been looking for someone in the area that could give me some advice. I thank you for that. There doesn't seem to be as many hunters here in New England as down south or out west. I'm going to have to start walking fields I guess. Looking in brooks and streams is frustrating anyways there's just to much to look at and it makes my head hurt. Absolute rock overload.

Sent from my iPod touch using TreasureNet

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread