rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you asking about a field or a creek?

OP
OP
DigIron2

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
actually it is a place they clear- cut for logs not to long ago.they tore up allot of the ground when they were clearing.Seem like the stuff is already getting few and far between,but haven't had much rain lately?

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SCrocks hunts those clear cuts all the time. He says they are great. The rain helps to settle the dirt which in turn reveals the artifacts. Just like in a field after a plow. Try walking a fresh plowed field not much if anything will show. After a good hard rain they will start appearing.

OP
OP
DigIron2

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is great news,thanks!The fields around here would probably be good hunting for them, but I think the farmers are practicing that no plow planting,they haven't turned the fields up around here in a couple years or more.I have found a couple of strays points in them MDing,but that was about it.I have looked around some creeks with no luck so far,mostly got those small mucky mud bottom creeks around here.

JOHUNT

Sep 24, 2009
Southern tier of New York
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have a field we nicknamed "No Till" that's rich with artifacts. We've found a bunch just laying on the surface. I can't wait until the day the farmer turns that soil!!!

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They do no till here also but do plow them every other year so far. I have access to about 20 fields. One year they will turn half and then the other year the other half. 10 fields a year is plenty to keep me busy. I also hunt 4 creeks which go along the properties.

SCrocks

May 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anytime you have a hard washing rain there's always a chance something new washed up. If I have a site I'm finding them on I dog it after every hard rain or two till it's grown over and ya can't see anymore.

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By my rule of thumb I always let 3-4in of rain fall on a field or cutover before I hunt it.Good Luck

OP
OP
DigIron2

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have a field we nicknamed "No Till" that's rich with artifacts. We've found a bunch just laying on the surface. I can't wait until the day the farmer turns that soil!!!

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2
I would imagine they would have to turn them up sooner or later.I didn't know what was going on until I heard about the no till planting.At least it gives something else to look forward to in the future.Hopefully the immediate future!

OP
OP
DigIron2

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anytime you have a hard washing rain there's always a chance something new washed up. If I have a site I'm finding them on I dog it after every hard rain or two till it's grown over and ya can't see anymore.
That is the downfall about cut overs.They aren't good for nothing after a couple years or so.No good for relic hunting or game hunting,in allot of cases after awhile, can't even walk through the ones around here because of the growth.It doesn't take mother nature long!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions