monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got off from work this weekend, which is rare, so I made a bee line to one of my hunting lease's. I have been wanting to dig in some clay holes in a creek since last year. Got to the creek and could not stop myself from checking some rock bars first and then I walked to the hole's. The first hole and the first hand full of gravel, this came out. 8-16-14 002.JPG If I had not been on my knees I would have gone down. Have hunted artifacts in my area for over 35 years and never found a Southern Hardin. I don't know about other parts of the USA but you just don't find these that much this far south. It has a good bevel and is just under 3in. 8-16-14 003.JPG 8-16-14 004.JPG 8-16-14 007.JPG I get asked a lot about what type of creeks I hunt and where in the creek do I look. Take a look at where I found this today most people would not even give this a second thought. 8-16-14 005.JPG 8-16-14 006.JPG One thing that blows my mind is that it is still sharp enough to cut you, so that tells me it did not come a long way in the creek.

Upvote 0

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great find....it reminds me of hunting low tide here..back when we could.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice looking find, congrats

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
Incredible find Monsterrack ! Have you found points in those clay holes before, or noticed that they regularly fill up with gravel ? I am one of those people that probably wouldn't have given that spot a second thought, but after seeing your post this morning, I have thought about it a half dozen times already, and still can't figure out what lead you to that beautiful Hardin. Congrats and HH

OP
OP
monsterrack

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Incredible find Monsterrack ! Have you found points in those clay holes before, or noticed that they regularly fill up with gravel ? I am one of those people that probably wouldn't have given that spot a second thought, but after seeing your post this morning, I have thought about it a half dozen times already, and still can't figure out what lead you to that beautiful Hardin. Congrats and HH

In my area the creeks cut thur the top loess soil down to the clay in some areas and make these pot holes has I call them. The first creek I ever hunted in was like this, and we found civil war items, post civil war items, fossils and artifacts. They are a natural artifact trap, water movment and something heavy and it just drops in.

Another thing is I have found artifacts above this spot so I knew there had to be something in these holes.

Last edited:
OP
OP
monsterrack

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice! I don't believe I would have given 5 minuets of my time to an area that looked like that. Learn something new everyday. Thanks for the view.

A lot of folks don't think about spots like this, but a lot of time they are full of artifacts. In this one creek I still have over a 100 yards of these type spots to hunt and some are so deep I could not reach to the bottom. Next time I go there I will have a shovel and a long scoop.

Last edited:

ptsofnc

Apr 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot of folks don't think about spots like this, but a lot of time they are full of artifacts. In this one creek I still have over a 100 yards of these type spots to hunt and some are so deep I could not reach to the bottom. Next time I go there I will have a shovel and a long scoop.

I've only started creek searching this year. I could definitely use some lessons. Thanks for sharing your wisdom.

painterx7

Silver Member
Jul 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've only started creek searching this year. I could definitely use some lessons. Thanks for sharing your wisdom.
Takes lots of patience creek hunting that's my best advice ;)

11KBP

Oct 7, 2008
Central Great Plains
I made a bee line to one of my hunting lease's. I have been wanting to dig in some clay holes in a creek since last year. I get asked a lot about what type of creeks I hunt and where in the creek do I look. Take a look at where I found this today most people would not even give this a second thought.

That’s a nice find mr!

There are some very useful images and valuable information in this post for those of you who might have similar drainages in your region. These kinds of situations as posted by mr provide a better opportunity to find the older artifacts as well as finding more complete intact specimens.

Secondly, I have seen all kinds of so-called hunting tools posted on this forum (all useful of course) but the picture of the one you posted was evidence to me that you are an advanced artifact hunter using a very useful multifunctional hunting tool.
Looking forward to seeing more of your finds. -11KBP

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread