Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
i'll probably never figure these out but i like them

i think i posted these a long time ago

sc006ff062.jpg sc0075d5e5.jpg sc0075e97f.jpg this piece had a deep carved chevron which shows extreme wear

the in the center some type of animal maybe a badger or a turtle?

the most interesting is on the bottom (widest) part of the piece is a picture of a papoose wrapped in a blanket with hand(s) reaching out and also a feather in it's hair.......
.....it might be easiest to see by enlarging the image and the stepping back a few feet from the computer

sc0035358a.jpg this one appears to be a drawn bow with arrow pointed at someone with their hand in the air?

i like these but i don;t know that i ever will figure them out......all i know is they were just layin in that field and i almost drove over it......missed it by less than 2 inches

Upvote 0

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Mysterious indeed.
The elongated piece could have feathers layed on the more porous and less unworked side and secured in two undecorated areas for a fan. End looks pierced two places that would hold bird or porky quills too for marking or painting. A more solid awl or hard pins being a pair could have been used to lay out holes for awl holes before stitching for even patterns.:dontknow: Some guild perhaps.

OP
OP
larson1951

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
Mysterious indeed.
The elongated piece could have feathers layed on the more porous and less unworked side and secured in two undecorated areas for a fan. End looks pierced two places that would hold bird or porky quills too for marking or painting. A more solid awl or hard pins being a pair could have been used to lay out holes for awl holes before stitching for even patterns.:dontknow: Some guild perhaps.

very interesting ideas thank you

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat looking pieces but I cant give a guess at all. Always a pleasure

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds there for sure.
If that long piece was found here it would more than likely be considered a net mesh spacing tool. ( gauge)

Last edited:
OP
OP
larson1951

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
thanks gator i say since nets were not used here and the fact that iy has so much time put into the designs i tend to kinda believe the coup stick thingy but?......
......how do them spacer things work??
here the fish were caught with a bone hook and bait with a sinker, also taperered baskets made from the prolific diamond willow tree branches were used along with some hand fishing and spears....
mainly for catfish and sauger/perch/walleye

according to a few archeologists both said "coup stick"........
but we all know that none of us were there including the archeologists

one thing i am thinking strongly about is ceremonial and all the wear on the chevron end didn't happen in 5 or ten years.....it must have been used for a terrible long time.....but for what

my wife said 'steve it is a coup stick' 'used in friendship type ceremonies' like marriage or adoption, etc

i posted just to display and any and all opinions are welcomed, appreciated, and respected

kinda weird.....it was muddy from a rain and i was making tire ruts that were about 4 inches deep, then when i stopped and started walking behind.....
.....there it was with half of it sticking straight up into the air right along side of the tire rut by no more than about 1.5".....
then comes the part about pulling it from the mud and sayin' 'oh please please do not be a heartbreaker' and it wasn't.....yipee!

Last edited:

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was using the local tools as an example that could be thought of in terms of your local area...maybe weaving of some other fashion would have been more logical in your area I don't know.... just tossing out an idea.
I had never heard of a coupe stick until now

Last edited:

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice artifact . Being incised with a pattern maybe worn in the hair I could see a woman braiding that into her hair . I say women because of the papoose .

OP
OP
larson1951

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
I was using the local tools as an example that could be thought of in terms of your local area...maybe weaving of some other fashion would have been more logical in your area I don't know.... just tossing out an idea.

i know what you mean....you know i always welcome all input.......all is cool...all is good...

my wife who is native showed me some ways that she thinks it was used......but that don't mean she is right.......we have learned so much here ...all is good

here is how she explained it to me......"steve i am holding this coup stick by the small end and at a ceremony i come to you and touch you on each shoulder with it, and say things......

.....like maybe......'you are my friend'.....or, you are now my step daughter.......or, you are now my husband or my wife

i don't wanna have anybody think i am getting to be a story teller cuz we may be completely off about this

don't ever worry about bouncing ideas off my back.....i will always be OK with it

ncnurseryman

Jul 28, 2013
north carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't know what the could be either but I like em. Always great to see artistic items from other cultures and time periods. Always great to see the fascinating things you find.

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mrs. Digger says she believes it's baby blessing wand. Due to the baby inscribed on it, it was most likely used in this manner. As you said, we may never know for sure what it may have actually been used for.

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hello mr larson,those are cool.have you herd any stories of them inhaling tobacco snuff.seen somethings they used to do this with that reminds me of them but i truly do not know.

BJH62

Apr 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Steve first I would like to say another very nice find. I know you said you were open to all suggestions so I'm going to take a guess and say it's a pelt board the animal may be a mink and the baby may be wrapped in it.

OP
OP
larson1951

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice finds there for sure.
If that long piece was found here it would more than likely be considered a net mesh spacing tool. ( gauge)

Here's some local examples

View attachment 1040133

Very nice artifact . Being incised with a pattern maybe worn in the hair I could see a woman braiding that into her hair . I say women because of the papoose .

Don't know what the could be either but I like em. Always great to see artistic items from other cultures and time periods. Always great to see the fascinating things you find.

Mrs. Digger says she believes it's baby blessing wand. Due to the baby inscribed on it, it was most likely used in this manner. As you said, we may never know for sure what it may have actually been used for.

hello mr larson,those are cool.have you herd any stories of them inhaling tobacco snuff.seen somethings they used to do this with that reminds me of them but i truly do not know.

Steve first I would like to say another very nice find. I know you said you were open to all suggestions so I'm going to take a guess and say it's a pelt board the animal may be a mink and the baby may be wrapped in it.

hey hey thank you
glad for the new thoughts......that is what i was looking for......so far thanks gator, southboy, ncnurseryman, mr and mrs digger, jamey and bjh62......lots of good comparisons and new thoughts and ideas

i always like something that we are quite sure about being an artifact but need to put our thoughts and ideas together with
gotta say the different tribes and nations sure had a lot of different ideas and things

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread