Getting closer...I think?

flinginairos

May 23, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was at my buddies place this weekend and his property has a beautiful creek running through and a freshly plowed field beside it. The field was really rough and we didn't find anything there. I did find this piece close to the plowed field in some bare dirt...
d227eccf94f8abf1ada8a657fa6c112c.jpg

Then on the edge of the creek I found these two pieces.
f13390a8cc8d69b5d6fb355f96b0d2dc.jpg

e3dce9f3583ee860273f62750dac0582.jpg

I looked at one rock bar in the creek and found some old pottery. Didn't look Native American though. Hoping to get back in that creek sometime and look it over good!

Sent from space

Upvote 0

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's great you are getting closer. I forget which state are you in? While you are in the fields go to one end and squat on your knees. Look for the hiils or humps in the field. If you see any then go to them. Start at the lowest level of the humps walk around and look for flakes. When you see flakes then go up the hump slowly looking in all directions. Follow that flint trail there should be something there and when you find it before you pick it up whisper.....let it be whole :)

OP
OP
F

flinginairos

May 23, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks rock! I am in WV. I really didn't have much time to look while I was at the property. I'd like a full day in that creek no doubt!

Sent from space

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes creeks are fun. Was there allot of gravel bars in the creek?

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got to wait till the field gets some rain on it before you will find anything good. The dirt needs to level out some first

OP
OP
F

flinginairos

May 23, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes there are some gravel bars in the creek and it's pretty good sized. The field had just been plowed last week and hadn't had much rain. We actually disced it a few times to level it out a bit to plant some stuff for the deer. When we go back we will hit it again for sure!

Sent from space

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's in Roane co. Not sure on the name of the creek but it's outside of Gandeeville near Harmony road

Sent from space

No offense to the person that asked but I don't give names of creeks where I find artifacts. Next thing you know there are boot prints the next time you go out to look.
Here is how I walk a gravel bar if you are interested.
First start at the edge walk all the way around it looking at the edges and a foot above. Then walk on the section you already looked at. Go all the way up the bar just like that. After you have gotten to the top look towards the water flow of the creek. Look to see where the water comes up on it and look for a water flow section that goes across it. After every rain check the edges and then the water flow section. Its a learned trait you will get use to. Never just step straight onto it cause you might burry them. Sometimes they will be rite in the water where the current is so I do look in the shallow water. I look forward to seeing your find, rock

reuellis

Jul 25, 2014
Abandoned Teays River Valley, WV
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
ha! no offense taken rock. sort of figured it was like asking where you caught that 12" brookie right after i posted it. i'm in putnam county, wv. ever my way and i'll gladly take you creekin'

OP
OP
F

flinginairos

May 23, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ha! no offense taken rock. sort of figured it was like asking where you caught that 12" brookie right after i posted it. i'm in putnam county, wv. ever my way and i'll gladly take you creekin'

Do you find a lot of artifacts in your area? I don't really know anyone that hunts for artifacts around here. I'd love to see pics if you have found anything! Feel free to message me if ya want. Just trying to learn all I can and this site is great!

Sent from space

reuellis

Jul 25, 2014
Abandoned Teays River Valley, WV
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
i'm just starting but have found a couple nice pieces from one particular creek (will post on it soon). i have seen collections of artifacts from the area that number in the thousands.

OP
OP
F

flinginairos

May 23, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone know what kind of flint that is I found? I actually found a point in Marion county made of the same grey material. At least I think it's the same lol. Like I said, I don't know much about all this. Just trying to learn!

Sent from space

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find all types of black flint here in Georgia. Here is some examples and it is the choice color to find in my area. It has allot of the times colors mixed in. At the show last month I was told most of mine is flint ridge. Some great colors. Most of the flint will stain black or chocolate brown in the creek here.

Attachments

• SDC11299.JPG
    SDC11299.JPG
    695.1 KB · Views: 54
  • 100_3971.JPG
    100_3971.JPG
    319 KB · Views: 53
  • SDC11248.JPG
    SDC11248.JPG
    656.2 KB · Views: 50
  • 100_2443.JPG
    100_2443.JPG