Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab Excalibur 2
White's classic 3sl
Garrett Infinium
Garrett pro pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all, I found these yesterday, 10 inches down in gulley caused by a heavy rain washout. I am wondering if these sherds could be from the native americans whom lived there. Now, a little history on this location: MANY artifacts found over the years by locals. 300 feet from a major river in which there were native americans living on. These 2 pcs are unlike any other colonial sherds I have come across. One side is somewhat smooth and the back sides have these ridges. Do these ridges indicate some kind of native american pottery making technique?Fyi, these were found in Connecticut. pottery 001.jpg pottery 002.jpg pottery 003.jpg

Upvote 0

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No they are crockery maybe next time

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They look colonial to me because of the ridges, I think the ridges are formed when they were making it on a pottery wheel. I've also read where the Native Americans started using their own type of pottery wheel after contact period. Those are real nice and keepers too!

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm not so sure,I have seen old crockery pieces come up looking just like that with a slight glaze on it. Maybe you should take the pieces to your state archaeology department and see what they think.

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking at your pictures, I'd say that you have pieces of a crockery jug but it does appear to be an old one. Keep looking that area because there may be some more goodies hiding out nearby. Good luck!!

OP
OP
lisfisher

lisfisher

Mar 5, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab Excalibur 2
White's classic 3sl
Garrett Infinium
Garrett pro pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only reason I thought it might be native american is because the area is littered with points and other artifacts. { of course you have to look for them but they are there} They actually lived on this very parcel of land near the lake.

OP
OP
lisfisher

lisfisher

Mar 5, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab Excalibur 2
White's classic 3sl
Garrett Infinium