DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
009.JPG 011.JPG 007.JPG 012.JPG I decided to get a early start this morning at this Archaic site I have been hunting. finally got a decent rain here the other day,not sure if it was enough or not but the anticipation was killing me!I got about 7 hours in,the first few hours I hunted the hilltop that I have been focusing on the last couple hunts.Found some bits and pieces,then decided to comb the side of the hill.The hillside wasn't disturbed like the top of the hill from the machines when they cleared,mostly just the very top layer of leaf sediment was disturbed on the hillside not looking to promising to find anything, because not many rocks where turned up.Halfway down the hill the point caught my eye,it was in a machine track that turned up the ground in a strip.I could barely believe my eyes at first.I have never found a point this size before.The last few hours of walking up and down the hillside I found the scraper hiding under a small bush that I must have walked right by last time I was there,another piece that is larger then what I have been finding.Then I ran out of water and called it a day.I Wish I could rent a baco and do some clearing of my own;)The pic on lower right is the nicest pieces I found on site so far.thanks for looking

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks for sharing,looks like a good day

OP
OP
DigIron2

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

SCrocks

May 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find! No rain on my sites the past couple weeks plus in the middle 90's make for slim pickings.

OP
OP
DigIron2

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find! No rain on my sites the past couple weeks plus in the middle 90's make for slim pickings.
Thanks SC,We haven't been getting much rain here ether,I don't think the last rain was really enough,but I just couldn't wait to go back.I just found what I missed last time probably.That 90 degree sun will take it out of anybody real fast.I had to go hunt the mud shet bottom creek in the bottom woods for awhile just to get out of the sun.I wish I was a camel.I can't seem to pack enough water!

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hunt digIron. Here is a trick I use when Im hunting the creek in the summer. I will carry frozen Gatorade or whatever you like to drink. Drop a bottle every .25 of a mile go to the farthest spot first then as you hunt on your way back stop and grab a bottle. By freezing them most of the time they are still cold at least a little. Works for me when I do a long distance hunt. The creek stretch for me is 1.5 miles.

ptsofnc

Apr 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is Sat. morning now and I hope you're back out at the site as I send this message. Great finds/spot.!

OP
OP
DigIron2

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hunt digIron. Here is a trick I use when Im hunting the creek in the summer. I will carry frozen Gatorade or whatever you like to drink. Drop a bottle every .25 of a mile go to the farthest spot first then as you hunt on your way back stop and grab a bottle. By freezing them most of the time they are still cold at least a little. Works for me when I do a long distance hunt. The creek stretch for me is 1.5 miles.
thanks rock,that is a good idea!I usually just carry two big Gatorade bottles filled with water in a little Army surplus backpack.In cooler weather it will last me all day long,but them hot days, especially out in the direct sun, I cant seem to have enough.I think I will start freezing at least one of them because my water will get so warm it doesn't seem to even refresh like it should.I don't know if they would really work or not,but have you seen those straw water filter things that supposily someone can drink straight from a creek with?I have seen them advertized, but not sure where to buy one.

OP
OP
DigIron2

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is Sat. morning now and I hope you're back out at the site as I send this message. Great finds/spot.!
I should be,but I am sitting here on treasure net still recovering from last night.:sadsmiley:

OP
OP
DigIron2

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds! That site must be loaded, hopefully they will disturb more ground for you to check out. Thanks for the view.
Thanks!I am afraid I am probably gonna have to rely completely on mother nature on this one.They just cut it for the timber and it looks like they are done there.I am hoping for some hurricane type rain to come around before hunting season.Next year the place will probably start turning into a thicket,but I am gonna try to preserve all I can find there while I still can.I almost want to take the garden tiller up there but man that would be a haul.You got anymore of those good tips I could try?

theviking

Bronze Member
Aug 29, 2009
Blue ridge mts, Virginia
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks!I am afraid I am probably gonna have to rely completely on mother nature on this one.They just cut it for the timber and it looks like they are done there.I am hoping for some hurricane type rain to come around before hunting season.Next year the place will probably start turning into a thicket,but I am gonna try to preserve all I can find there while I still can.I almost want to take the garden tiller up there but man that would be a haul.You got anymore of those good tips I could try?

Try finding some new hunting spots, having multiple sites to hunt can only increase your chances of finding artifacts. I'm hoping for the hurricane type rain here also..

OP
OP
DigIron2

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would like to find a new place, but It seems rare to happen across a native site around these parts,I got real lucky coming across this one.There is allot of corn/soybean fields around, but I don't know when they will eventually turn them up.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Corn and soy around here is usually Oct-Nov. Soy is terrible to hunt after harvest unless they turn it under. Around here they usually leave it on top and it takes over a year to go away.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread