Hammer Stone

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a recent find and a good example of a small hammer stone with grooves ground and pecked on one side . Most likely part of a tool kit to make points . P9081222.JPG P9081227.JPG P9081225 (2).JPG P9081229.JPG P9081230.JPG

Upvote 0

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Here a a couple I thought I would show.

Both ends of this piece exhibit use.

DSCN3872.JPG

I found this one one on the first hill east of my home.
DSCN3875.JPG

this one is nicely polished both side and shows hammer use wear. In my humble opinion, grinding stones will often show hammer wear. I believe they had to reduce some of their food stuff by pounding before grinding. Try imagining grinding some dry corn kernels whole, then think how much easier it would be if they had been made into bits of corn first. I think it was pound and grind, not grind and grind and grind.
DSCN3877.JPG DSCN3876.JPG

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now there are 2 different type of Hammer Stones in my area. 1 is a hammer for breaking chunks and the other is a "Pecking Stone" which by the way is a grainy type like the one you are holding southfork. Pecking Stones were for more of a finishing stone rather than a Hammer. I have some for examples if you would like to see one of each? Nice find and thanks for the post yours is a nice example.

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
good to see a hammerstone thats not so hard,as to show use.

OP
OP
southfork

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now there are 2 different type of Hammer Stones in my area. 1 is a hammer for breaking chunks and the other is a "Pecking Stone" which by the way is a grainy type like the one you are holding southfork. Pecking Stones were for more of a finishing stone rather than a Hammer. I have some for examples if you would like to see one of each? Nice find and thanks for the post yours is a nice example.
Post away the one I posted is a hammer stone I have stone drifts or punches made for finishing which are smaller also manos that were used for milling and pounding with one side polished and the ends battered . Post away show your examples I'm here to learn and maybe help others to identify artifacts .

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok well first pics are the Hammers made from flint. Now the narrow one I am not real sure as to how it was used but do know it is a type of Hammer. Personal finds

Attachments

• SDC11445.JPG
    SDC11445.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 240
  • SDC11442.JPG
    SDC11442.JPG
    707.4 KB · Views: 193
  • SDC11444.JPG
    SDC11444.JPG
    750.6 KB · Views: 134

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now for the Pecking Stone it is a quartzite type

Attachments

• SDC11446.JPG
    SDC11446.JPG
    990.1 KB · Views: 153
  • SDC11447.JPG
    SDC11447.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 202

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is JMO you will find all types of hammer stone's and we tend to group them all under one name (hammer stone). You had stone used has a maul, like to break spalls from a larger stone, the you had stones that was used to knapp with but most of these tend to end up almost completely rounded from making strikes from all angles. Then I believe like it was said they used stones to just crush nuts, roots and all sorts of things. Now some of you may not go along with this but I don't believe in the finger hold grooves, stone tools were not something that they took the time to do this, and I know we all have found stones that just fit that well in our hands, but I believe them to be a natural groove that just happened that way. 10-27-13 004.JPG This photo is of a knapping stone it is almost perfect round from making strikes from all angles, and there are no finger holes just dents where it was struck all around.

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
"Now the narrow one I am not real sure as to how it was used but do know it is a type of Hammer. Personal finds[/QUOTE]"

That has to be the funkiest hammer I have ever seen, which end was the business end?

It looks to me like something that was just reduced from knapping. So does the other big one you posted.

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is what I am saying, one used for knapping's shows a lot of wear

Sent from my RM-845_nam_vzw_100 using Tapatalk

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At quito the one you posted looks like a regular flint nodule I find in the creek even though I didn't say it earlier cause I didn't want to hurt your feelings. It has some use but looks like it was from rolling around in a creek to me.
I would guess on the narrow hammer they would of used the end shown. I would guess it would be hard to use flint on flint when breaking a fresh nodule down. Flint is the hardest stone I have found in the area where I found these. I have found no Granite or any types like that. Here is the site you can look at for Hammer Stones from my area if you choose. www.peachstatearchaeologicalsociety.com

Last edited:
OP
OP
southfork

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is JMO you will find all types of hammer stone's and we tend to group them all under one name (hammer stone). You had stone used has a maul, like to break spalls from a larger stone, the you had stones that was used to knapp with but most of these tend to end up almost completely rounded from making strikes from all angles. Then I believe like it was said they used stones to just crush nuts, roots and all sorts of things. Now some of you may not go along with this but I don't believe in the finger hold grooves, stone tools were not something that they took the time to do this, and I know we all have found stones that just fit that well in our hands, but I believe them to be a natural groove that just happened that way. View attachment 1051356 This photo is of a knapping stone it is almost perfect round from making strikes from all angles, and there are no finger holes just dents where it was struck all around.
You need to do a little research there's a lot of grooved stone tools . Your napping stone is far from perfectly round and is doubtful if its an artifact at all jmo .

manzanita

Greenie
Aug 6, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've seen pestles with grooves running length wise for some kind of tool processing. Part pestle part tool maker thingy!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread