Our Find

Virdan

Tenderfoot
Sep 14, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We live in North Alabama and found this in our woods this afternoon. Was wondering if anyone has seen one of these before. I quickly read a bit about omars. The center hollowed out spot on this stone is a darker color than the rest of the stone and the bottom of the stone is flat and smoothed down, like it experience friction against another stone. So, that makes me think it saw human use. Anyway, thank for any help you can provide! My little boy was excited about finding it and I hope we can learn a bit more. It's a bit larger than a quarter. You can see my computer keys in the top picture for reference.

a.JPG

b.JPG

Upvote 0

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the forum. You can see the difference in color from the grinding that was done on it. Very nice seeing it is small it might of been for grinding herbs for meds that the Indians used or even for paint. Nice find

OP
OP
V

Virdan

Tenderfoot
Sep 14, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the welcome! I've had a great time tonight reading old threads. Sure makes me want to get out and see what else we can find.

And thanks for the help, it's very neat to think about who once used this little stone. And it gives us a great opportunity to teach the boy a bit about the history of our land.

Thanks again!

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very nice artifact!

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd be interested in seeing how smooth and or polished the back side is.
I'm just used to seeing grinding stones where the grinding divot is comparatively smaller than the stone itself by a larger margin.
What is the size of that piece overall? It appears to be small to me and reminds me of something called a capstone or a socket for a bow drill set up.
Welcome

AE_bow-drill.jpg

attachment-30-1.png

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah looking back at my idea the hole doesn't look right for a capstone.
Just seems like if you were to press down on that with another stone and twist you'd twist the whole piece unless you're holding it in your other hand then that just doesn't seem right to me

OP
OP
V

Virdan

Tenderfoot
Sep 14, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting. I'm still thinking about it a lot. It does seem so small to be used for grinding. It must have been for something specific to have kept up with it. It is about 1 inch by 1.25 inches. The bottom is smooth as is the little lip that is to the left in the pictures above.

Here are pictures of the bottom.

c.JPG

d.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions