rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well if anyone collects these post them. I call these study pieces. I keep some of the bigger reduction pieces. I went to my quarry site today and found the one in the middle (white one). The black ones look to be cobbles that have had all of the cortex removed and then worked on one edge just a little. The other pieces show some of the mother stone cortex on the flat edges where they were removed from the main stone. Tools or just reduction pieces? Either way I like to study them, rock

Attachments

• SDC11467.JPG
    SDC11467.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 122
  • SDC11468.JPG
    SDC11468.JPG
    721.5 KB · Views: 130
  • SDC11469.JPG
    SDC11469.JPG
    737.6 KB · Views: 115
  • SDC11470.JPG
    SDC11470.JPG
    747.3 KB · Views: 110
  • SDC11471.JPG
    SDC11471.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 117
  • SDC11472.JPG
    SDC11472.JPG
    755.6 KB · Views: 105
Upvote 0

660GRIZZ

May 7, 2012
Wayne, WV
Detector(s) used
garrett ace 400,atpro pinpointer,lesche ground shark shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
really enjoy the reduction pieces here are a couple i have found these are from sw texas. 100_2696.JPG 100_2697.JPG 100_2698.JPG 100_2699.JPG 100_2700.JPG 100_2701.JPG 100_2702.JPG 100_2703.JPG

Last edited:

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find those every now and then too. I usually bring the nicer ones home and toss them in the rock garden and the rough ones I leave lay or I put them on a fence post if one is near by.

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes they did use this type of process to make tools with. I figured it was a risk to even post them. I would guess most just pitch them like I do the smaller ones but the bigger ones could of been used sometimes for hand held digging tools due to them being so sturdy with the curve to them.

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have some but will get a pic of them in a good light and post them. I always wonder about them. Some look like they are broken tools and others are very similar to the small flakes I find but they are a bit larger. Most times they are the same type of stone which is nothing like the majority of stones in the creek and you can spot them right away because they are different. I keep them in a dish type rock garden near my front porch and some are in a basket in the basement, those are the special ones.

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They aren't arrowheads but are artifacts none the less. Most of them are what I call 1st stage reduction pieces. They would smack the rock hard enough to remove the outer piece to get to the deeper more desirable inside of the rock. I would guess most of the time they would just throw it away if it wasn't worth saving. You can see them with the curve from the strike. Once in a while they have been altered on the edges for cutting or digging. Im sure they used some tools for hand digging maybe roots or other rocks out of the ground for making more tools. I look forward to seeing yours Peaches.

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mostly just found smaller one's.The larger crystal quartz piece I found near where I found the point.Not sure if they are related or not? 031.JPG

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Allot of nice examples everyone. Sometimes you have to dare to be different. rock

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What do you mean by different?
I'm sure most of us have chunks of material around.

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
They aren't arrowheads but are artifacts none the less. Most of them are what I call 1st stage reduction pieces. They would smack the rock hard enough to remove the outer piece to get to the deeper more desirable inside of the rock. I would guess most of the time they would just throw it away if it wasn't worth saving. You can see them with the curve from the strike. Once in a while they have been altered on the edges for cutting or digging. Im sure they used some tools for hand digging maybe roots or other rocks out of the ground for making more tools. I look forward to seeing yours Peaches.

I find enough artifacts, with some outer cortex that I doubt they were just looking to get deeper into the rock rock.. Many artifacts of all sorts often have some cortex on them. If it was a good flake that was removed, large or small, it was more often than not, used........ imho anyway.

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find enough artifacts, with some outer cortex that I doubt they were just looking to get deeper into the rock rock.. Many artifacts of all sorts often have some cortex on them. If it was a good flake that was removed, large or small, it was more often than not, used........ imho anyway.

What if after a bit of flaking it was decided it wasn't turning out right and discarded? For example: My father in law lived on a spot that was loaded with unfinished tools and points and I mean loaded. It was rare to find a finished piece but he did find a nice finished paleo piece which disappeared after his death. His theory was it was a spot where they made the tools and when it wasn't turning out right they would toss it and start a new one. There were so many he started a pile of them and called them his woks.

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
What if after a bit of flaking it was decided it wasn't turning out right and discarded? For example: My father in law lived on a spot that was loaded with unfinished tools and points and I mean loaded. It was rare to find a finished piece but he did find a nice finished paleo piece which disappeared after his death. His theory was it was a spot where they made the tools and when it wasn't turning out right they would toss it and start a new one. There were so many he started a pile of them and called them his woks.

I was talking about complete, and broken artifacts. Point was/being, I doubt there is much difference in the quality of most materials below the patina, which should be obvious from the amount of artifacts with outer cortex on them yet.

Your father in laws site, from your description sounds more like a knapping location, like he suspected.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread