DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
007.JPG 023.JPG 025.JPG I finally had a successful creek walk last Sunday.I was walking a side creek that branches off a small river and spotted the triangle point on a gravel bar in a bend.At first I thought it was a end of a broken knife until I examined the base. I got pretty excited and was really hounddogin with my nose to the ground after that.Further up the creek I found the other two broken pieces . I think the triangle point is a Mississippian Period point or possibly Woodland?Any info about it would be helpful.joe

Last edited:
Upvote 0

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow, That is one exceptional triangle ! ! Big, thin, sharp, and made out of that brown sugar looking quartzite I like so much. They don't get much better than that one, congratulations. HH

OP
OP
DigIron2

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, That is one exceptional triangle ! ! Big, thin, sharp, and made out of that brown sugar looking quartzite I like so much. They don't get much better than that one, congratulations. HH
Thanks!It is the only one I have found so far.I didn't know what to think about it at first.I have really been after them in the creeks since I found that one, but have had no more luck so far.

660GRIZZ

May 7, 2012
Wayne, WV
Detector(s) used
garrett ace 400,atpro pinpointer,lesche ground shark shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
awesome triangle point and very nice finds continued good luck and keep posting .

Last edited:

theviking

Bronze Member
Aug 29, 2009
Blue ridge mts, Virginia
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice find! That triangle is a smoker. I think your correct with Mississippian, maybe late Woodland. Looks like maybe a Caraway or a Madison, either way its a very nice well made point. Great find, thanks for the view.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lucky Dog! That point is perfect. Hard to find a Triangular point made from quartzite with no damage. Well any Triangular with no damage is a great find. Must of not been in the water for very long with the color and needle tip. Great find

mcb66

Mar 17, 2009
Looks like what i would call a Yadkin here in SC. Same Woodland - Mississippian time period tough.

pickaway

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice triangle congrats, nice finds...

ptsofnc

Apr 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks!It is the only one I have found so far.I didn't know what to think about it at first.I have really been after them in the creeks since I found that one, but have had no more luck so far.

That's a beauty! Congrats. I went 4 months between creek (points) finds this year. Then I found 2 in one week and the fever is back.

OP
OP
DigIron2

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lucky Dog! That point is perfect. Hard to find a Triangular point made from quartzite with no damage. Well any Triangular with no damage is a great find. Must of not been in the water for very long with the color and needle tip. Great find
Thanks rock.I worked for it ,but I admit It was lucky!Slouched over and eyes to the gravel and there it was.I can't seem to find anything that even resembles a broken piece here lately,and I have been after them in the creeks double time.Guess it just makes me appreciate it that much more.

masonh

Jun 24, 2010
That is one beautiful point! I live in richmond area and have tried searching local creeks with no luck. I have found some nice points along tidal rivers east of town though. What part of va are you in? Most of what I find is similar quartzite material.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions