DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Damn dude,did you leave any for anyone else down there:o hell of a NICE collection!Thanks for the view.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Damn dude,did you leave any for anyone else down there:o hell of a NICE collection!Thanks for the view.

That's funny.
He is the Quartz King that's for sure.

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Shovels....lots of shovels!
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey guys,

I'm new to artifacts but very intrigued and interested. I'm in the field of Geology myself. Were there particular tribes that used Quartz for points or was it a common practice like flint? I personally have never seen Quartz points. I would think that Quartz would be more brittle than flint due to their crystal structure and therefore there would be less surviving artifacts

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well most of what I find made from quartz is called a Morrow Mountain 7000-5000 B.P. Although I do find some from the Woodland Period but mostly MM.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice bunch of quartz there ....pretty sure I see a load of Morrow mountains some Guilford and maybe a kirk or two.. They used what they had access to that's for sure.
Every once in awhile some guys down here in northern Florida find a flint Morrow Mountain.. Seems like they really enjoyed that material they were usually fairly large comparatively

OP
OP
SCrocks

SCrocks

May 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys,

I'm new to artifacts but very intrigued and interested. I'm in the field of Geology myself. Were there particular tribes that used Quartz for points or was it a common practice like flint? I personally have never seen Quartz points. I would think that Quartz would be more brittle than flint due to their crystal structure and therefore there would be less surviving artifacts
BurntBear like the others said they used what was ready available, Around my area quartz is the most prominate material suitable for tool making. As far as meterial being associated with a particular tribe I'm not aware of any around here. About all the artifacts I find are much older then any recorded history of tribes. However different time periods around here seemed to use a particalur material more then other periods. Artifacts from the woodland period around here have a good percentage of rhyolite that was carried in from N.C. Alot of the archiac period points like Guilfords and Morrowmounts tend to be quartz and slate/shale with only a few rhyolite. Savananah Rivers tend to be about all quartz with some shale/slate . Kirks from the early archiac period tend to be about all rhyolite with very few quartz while palmers (same time period) seem to be mostly quartz. I guess the use of a particular material could be from a number of reasons such as some had a better trade network. Some may have moved around more and came into access with different materials more often.

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great points!! I live in Upstate, S.C. About 95% of mine white quartz, the rest were probably trade points fron N.C. or the Allendale area. The old trail crosses my farm. Tony

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread