monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went for a hunt Saturday but only found pottery , worked stone and an old med. bottle. So I thought I would use the trip for some tips for newbies. Now what I am saying goes for my area, but it holds true for a lot of areas. First thing know your hunting grounds, use Googel Earth or just a Topo map to see where your creek are what ever starts at and then most important part GET PERMISSION from land owner or owners, because most creeks are used has property lines. It also helps to know when you are in a creek ,where you can walk out of it and where you will end up at, it just might save you a lot of walking back to your ride.

Now not every creek has artifacts but most do, it's just some are harder to find artifacts in due to the amount of sand, mud and other materials. Next get some books on arrowheads and other stone artifacts and study them and then study them again. Just remember mother nature can fool you big time when you are just getting started. For example look at these photos of items I found yesterday learning points for newbies 017.JPG learning points for newbies 014.JPG The first photo is just little round balls of clay that are rock hard, made by the flow of water, the second photo shows you just how many of these things a creek can make.

Now worked stone, I see a lot of post asking is this a worked piece. First if you study the books like I said earlier you can see what is a flake that was removed due to man or nature. learning points for newbies 018.JPG learning points for newbies 019.JPG The first photo looks like a natural break but then when you look at the other side, you can see where flakes were taken off by knapping. Not to long ago there was a post on hammer stones, most hammer stones will be well used and there is no doubt when you look at it that it was used. learning points for newbies 022.JPG learning points for newbies 023.JPG The first photo shows the outer core of the stone and the second shows the end that was used.

Now some points on creeks, always look all around, water level, in the water and up on the banks, you never know what you may find sticking out of the bank. learning points for newbies 013.JPG This photo shows where the water has cut down through the old creek bed and this one shows a couple of different layers it has gone through learning points for newbies 012.JPG This tells me that there is a good chance of finding all types of artifacts in a creek such as this.

A lot of us that have been doing this for a long time forget that we once where newbies also, and some tend to hold on to the info that we have gained over time, but we should always want to pass on anything that might help someone gain more insight to this great hobby. Last note to newbies just remember out in the field there is always something out there that can ruin your day learning points for newbies 015.JPG

Upvote 0

painterx7

Silver Member
Jul 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your always so out going rack good advice here ;)

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good advice!I have learned allot from you guys since I have been on Tnet and I Thank all you guys for that! And that nasty customer in the last pic will ruin a day real fast.All the copperheads I encounter are always curled up just waiting for me to step on them,and always just steps away before I see them.Haven't got me yet,and I always just pass them by,' I am just a visitor in their house",we have this little agreement, don't get me and I wont get you,so far they have kept their part of the bargain.but the first one that gets me, I will kill every copperhead I see.Good post Monsterrack!

Last edited:

-=METAL=-

Sep 13, 2013
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Being a noob, advice is ALWAYS appreciated. Thank you.

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great tips and advice there Monsterrack and real nice of you to take the time to type it up with pics and all. And yep there can be lots of hazards in the creeks depending on your area. I've only been creek hunting a year and a half but almost everyday when time permits and get some big surprises when I'm in there. My creek has deep banks for the most part so most things I see from the bottom up and I know some of the critters get the biggest surprise when I yell at them hehehe Once in a while limbs fall for no reason too and that's a bit startling and lately there have been bear sitings since the population has increased, now hoping not to run into one of those especially a momma with cubs...so far have seen tracks but only further down stream. Anyway, great post on a challenging way to hunt.

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very good post monsterreck....should be bumped up...thanks for sharing it. :icon_thumleft:....and that snake...:O...but pretty pattern on it!

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always wear snake boots when down by the creek. Got to think if the fields are plowed above where else are the snakes going to be? They will be at the creek banks waiting on a frog for dinner. I have only seen 2 Copperheads all yr and don't care to see more. 1 was while I was yakking it actually swam rite past me so don't think they wont get in the water. Nice post M Rack

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always wear snake boots when down by the creek. Got to think if the fields are plowed above where else are the snakes going to be? They will be at the creek banks waiting on a frog for dinner. I have only seen 2 Copperheads all yr and don't care to see more. 1 was while I was yakking it actually swam rite past me so don't think they wont get in the water. Nice post M Rack
I have been thinking about getting a pair of snake boots.Do they mess with your feet if you haul a long time in them?

OP
OP
monsterrack

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been thinking about getting a pair of snake boots.Do they mess with your feet if you haul a long time in them?

I have walked many a mile in mine and they have never messed with me, just spend the money and get a good pair and are the knee high type. Mine are 7 years old, I hunt game ,creek walk and field walk in them.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have tried 4 types of snake boots.
1st pair I ever had was leather, very heavy and sweated allot.
2nd pair was canvas, lite weight which was nice till I read the snakes can get their fangs caught on them if they strike. I sure would hate to have a snake stuck to the side of my boot....yikes.
3rd was rubber, not bad but gave me blisters and were not water proof. They leaked which sucked in the winter.
4th which I have now. Canvas and leather mix. Very comfortable and fit nice. Not to bad on the creek rocks which I mean aren't real slippery when walking. The only draw back is they said water proof but they do leak some. So there you go goods and bads.

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks.I think I might have to invest in a pair!

cdickrun64

Nov 12, 2009
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
My eyes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a nice pic of a creek bank with a couple different layers

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 79