Is this an Adze? New Brunswick Canada

_Maritimer

Greenie
Sep 28, 2014
New Brunswick
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi All,

I'm new to this forum - though I've been looking for indian artifacts (unsuccessfully) in my area for a few years now. People don't find artifacts up here as often as some of you folks further south along the eastern seabord, I'm not sure if that's because of the types of stone they had available or the population density or what, but when people find even a single spearpoint it tends to make the news if they want it to. My brother and I headed out today along a local river that is so low right now that there is a good 10-15ft on either side where you can walk on the muddy riverbed and see the exposed banks, which are essentially all mud/clay. This piece was sticking out of the bank about halfway, dull end out, but looked somewhat out of place so I pulled it out. Lo and behold it the other end looked too pretty to be natural! I've seen other examples of adzes found in Down East Maine that look quite similar (from the red paint people period), but I'm in no way an archaeologist or anthropologist, just good at using the internet and Control+F.

It doesn't really look like a type of stone that is common around here, and I have no idea how old it could be. Any ideas?

Thanks!

IMG_0188.JPG IMG_0189.JPG IMG_0191.JPG IMG_0192.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Maritimer Welcome to the forum.:thumbsup: The waterways give up some goodies from time to time once you learn how to look on them.Here there such small areas to look as there is not much distance from water edge to banks.Unless it's really low tide.That's a nice one you found there.They don't turn up here very often but I found a few.One of mine has a nice edge like yours.
Take Care,
Pete,:hello:

Attachments

• DSCN3081.JPG
    DSCN3081.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 132
OP
OP
M

_Maritimer

Greenie
Sep 28, 2014
New Brunswick
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice Maritimer Welcome to the forum.:thumbsup: The waterways give up some goodies from time to time once you learn how to look on them.Here there such small areas to look as there is not much distance from water edge to banks.Unless it's really low tide.That's a nice one you found there.They don't turn up here very often but I found a few.One of mine has a nice edge like yours.
Take Care,
Pete,:hello:

Thanks timekiller! Looks like you got a few good ones too!

mainejman

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know if a Celt describes a shape or not.But the bit end is sure different which tells me it had a different use.I'm sure each tool had multi functions but to lump them together is kinda reaching.Celts were not only tools they were weapons..Here in Maine gouges and adzes seem to out number celts and axes....mjm

BarnNB

Tenderfoot
May 13, 2016
Quispamsis, New Brunswick
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find Maritimer. I'm in the same boat as you - found a couple of quartz points on the shore of Grand Lake a ways back, and now my eyes are peeled on the ground every time I'm anywhere where there may be an artifact. A little luck every now and again, but nothing in this ballpark....

I wound never disturb a site, but I don't know whether I could turn-in a surface-found artifact that awesome. Still, you did the right thing.

In your post above you mention a red paint site 30 kms away. Are you referring to Cow Point?

OP
OP
M

_Maritimer

Greenie
Sep 28, 2014
New Brunswick
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice find Maritimer. I'm in the same boat as you - found a couple of quartz points on the shore of Grand Lake a ways back, and now my eyes are peeled on the ground every time I'm anywhere where there may be an artifact. A little luck every now and again, but nothing in this ballpark....

I wound never disturb a site, but I don't know whether I could turn-in a surface-found artifact that awesome. Still, you did the right thing.

In your post above you mention a red paint site 30 kms away. Are you referring to Cow Point?

Thanks BarnNB! I was indeed referring to Cow Point. Luckily for me, the Heritage Dept. never got back to me to follow up. Very cool to hear that you found some points on Grand Lake. I've gone out a few times on Grand Lake as well as the thoroughfare between Maquapit and Grand Lake with no success. Lots of history out there though, so probably much more to find. I'm hoping for a low water year this summer/fall so we can get a little more exposed shoreline and riverbanks to hunt.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread