Any idea of the age of this?

StringFellowHawk

Tenderfoot
Sep 30, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maine Fishing Trip Find

This was a Maine fishing trip find. I think this is half a bowl. Any other ideas? Are these common? Any idea of the age?

Thanks

10706366_10100503262061079_1872998363_n.jpg 1501850_10100503251482279_1601936513_n.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Charl I've recovered sandatone from the water that had formed in wooden objects only a couple hundred years old..."it" does work that way.
Found it formed around bone even.
I'm using the word sandstone generally here there's so many different ways and types I'm talking about solidified sediment to say that it does not fill in the gaps between things and solidify is simply incorrect sorry.
Silica sticking sand together...that's all it takes.

Yes, gator, you can get an early stage of lithification that way, but it wouldn't actually be classified as the sandstone we are familiar with, which requires millions of years of pressure to form. It's not difficult to see that kind of "cement", as you point out, or "solidified sediment", especially in marine environments. You can get the consolidation you describe, compaction doesn't always require pressure. You can assume I was splitting hairs in this instance because what you were referring to is not quite the same, or, as you said, you were speaking generally. At any rate, although the stone here was a conglomerate, that the cavity might have formed by dislodging a cobble was still only a best guess on my part. I would have collected it as well in all likelihood.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sorry, almost forgot to point something out.

GatorBoy wrote:

Oh so it looks like a rock.. yeah.. what he said.. Lol..
" Just fooling around please have a sense of humor"

I do get the point of humor as well as anyone. All this verbiage and could have just said "it looks like a rock". Lol, ha ha, yes indeed....but....the joke also serves to diminish the fundamental observation made by the poster of this thread.
namely:

StringFellowHawk wrote:

" I cannot believe that this is natural creekhunter, but appreciate your opinion."

i'd venture to say every person presenting a geofact, trolls excepted, is in that exact same position: I can't believe this is natural. Telling them it's a rock, not an artifact, is accurate. But it conveys no understanding whatsoever. The poster may not fight the verdict, but he/she still has no understanding how nature did that. I'm reasonably sure the poster wanted to understand how nature managed that. You might find it hilarious that the explanation was lengthy, but my guess, then and now, was that the poster was actually looking for an explanation that addressed his observation that "I cannot believe that is natural.." And after all, I wasn't really addressing GatorBoy in any of that explanatory comment. I was addressing StringFellowHawk. He was the person in need of understanding, not yourself. And from that perspective, well, it's really not that funny after all. Im always going to put the effort in to convey understanding, and not just a quick answer. The poster deserves that much if it can be provided. Most experienced collectors recognize geofacts right away, the recognition has become second nature. If one can explain how nature did that, it always helps, no matter how long the paragraphs needed to do so. But, yeah, it looks like a rock. "What he said"....lol.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good explanation Charl, that sounds on the money to me.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry.. After ten thousand more posts you might shorten stuff too.
Now your writing long long posts just for and about me...I feel special.
It's great you will take the time to give in depth analysis of every rock..your hired...we need someone for that position for sure

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

StringFellowHawk

Tenderfoot
Sep 30, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UPDATE:

Finally got an email response from R.M Gramly today (Author of the Vail Site paper liked earlier in this post)

"Dear Sir:
I rather think it is a mortar. . . . . . The raw material of yours appears much harder -- typical for a mortar. It appears to have been well-used.
Sincerely,
R. M. Gramly "

Thank you to everyone for your comments and assistance

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Oh so it looks like a rock.. yeah.. what he said.. Lol..
" Just fooling around please have a sense of humor"

Actually, it's really quite simple, GatorBoy. In the future, you will refrain from telling me how I will respond or not respond, including, but not limited to humor. Or lack thereof. It ain't your place. Period.

Gramly's take is interesting. He is a great guy. I would just keep in mind he does like to tell collectors what they like to hear.

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
i think it is apparent that you two don't see eye to eye on a good share these types of threads

so why do you continue to gravitate towards each other???

now gentlemen......you are both my friends....and i feel i am your friend...so please as a favor to me and the tnetters.......STOP before i push the button

i thank you in advance for your cooperation

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Towards each other?
I post all over treasurenet in several different forums this is just one of my stops.. I respect you Steve and I hear where you're coming from but believe me I've taken the high road here I have better things to do than chase Charl around.
I'm done with this now I hope this is the end of it sorry Larson

Last edited:

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
StringFellowHawk, it may be a mortar. Recall I suggested it could have been a natural mortar, possibly formed as described because it is conglomerate, and the native took advantage and used it until it broke. The problem was no pecking, no battering, and no grinding visible on the bowl surface. As far as Gramly's interpretation, the thing that should be kept in mind is that he did not examine it in person, one, and two, this has come up on all the artifact forums at one time or another and the consensus is that experienced collectors have far more experience handling artifacts on a frequent basis then archaeologists do. Far more hands on experience then an archaeolgist. I look up to and admire Mike Gramly because he is perhaps the most experienced archaeologist working in Northeastern Paleo studies and because he welcomes collectors with open arms and makes sure you know that as far as he is concerned, you are his peer, even if "only" a collector. If he and other ASAA members saw your piece in person at a meeting sometime, I'm certain opinions would vary on whether it was natural, or not. But, of course it could be what he suggested. Mike told me I had a Clovis once, but even then, I knew not everyone would agree with him, it might, or it might not be, a Clovis. Mike will never try and dampen a collector's enthusiasm if it can be avoided.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Steve Larson, I will behave myself. GatorBoy and I can co-exist just fine on this forum. So long as we do not address one another in too familiar a fashion, it will not be a problem. It's as simple as that. It was very clear, to both he and I, before this thread, that we are not friends and we both wish to make sure it remains that way. Offering jokes at my expense, followed by offering me advice, is bound to go up my butt sideways under those circumstances. Every time. And in reading the quote I cited a second time, I realized I could not find a punch line. Exactly why would a lengthy response to StringFellowHawk trigger "laughing out loud" in the first place??? We stick entirely to the points in question, and not act familiar that way, and we will be fine. Personally, I think the gentleman is very knowledgeable and a more valued member then I because he is far more a regular here then I am.

Last edited:

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is why we have the ignore option. Use it and things will be much better for you both. Both of you guys offer allot of knowledge for the forum. I enjoy reading what both of you have to say. Learning is a great thing, rock

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
This is why we have the ignore option. Use it and things will be much better for you both. Both of you guys offer allot of knowledge for the forum. I enjoy reading what both of you have to say. Learning is a great thing, rock

i agree gator and charl are good friends and i gotta re-affirm that they offer a lot of knowledge to the tnet

on the 'ignore option'.....i agree that it could make things better.......but i have suggested that already............

.......i have a hopeful and good feeling about the future here as i feel we have harmonized with each other on the issue.......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions