Help me identify these Arrowheads / Axehead

Khopesh

Oct 1, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Artefacts.jpg Artefacts2.jpg
(There are more pictures in the comments.)

Hey guys,

my uncle gave me these items as a present. He found them while biking through the mexican desert (unfortunatly I don't know where exactly). The first item is an arrowhead, with the second I'm not as sure. It might be a spear head or a very large arrowhead (which seems unrealistic though because of the weight). Unforunatly the tip broke off. The third item seems to be an axe head, unfortunatly a part broke off too (as you can see in the second picture).

I'm very interested in finding out how old these items might be, and maybe some expert in here can also tell me which tribe they might have come from. Also, do you think the axe head was used as a tool or a weapon? Moreover it would be nice to get a price estimation, just out of interest since I have no intention of selling them any time soon.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you sure those were found in Mexico? The Axe is a 3/4 Grooved and is a midwestern type. The Point in the middle is also a midwestern type and is a Thebes Point. Not sure on the other Point, but the material and shape look midwestern too.

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
I was wondering what that thebes was doing way down there. I agree with Grim.

The axe would have been for wood chopping.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could we see some better pics of the Thebes? I'd like to see both sides and something for a size reference, like a penny.

As for age, the Thebes is Early Archaic and from around 8500 BC. The Axe is Archaic as well and could be anywhere from 9500 to 7500 years old.

OP
OP
K

Khopesh

Oct 1, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You guys might be right. My Uncle lives in Salt Lake City and these items were laying in his garage for some time. Might be he just didn't remember it correctly and found them somewhat closer to there.

@Grim: Will do!

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For comparison, here is a Thebes of mine that is very similar to yours.

Attachments

• Thebes.jpg
    Thebes.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 80
OP
OP
K

Khopesh

Oct 1, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are more pictures with a penny. The last one is taken from exact frontal view, because I realized something odd. The cutting edges are asymetrical (i hope you can tell by the picture) Furthermore the one side is perfectly smooth, whilethe other side appears natural. What's the meaning of this? Is it possible the tip broke off in the making and that it was therefore never finished?

Is the small arrowhead from the same time period or of a more recent one? And can you tell me which material they are made of?

Arrow2.jpg Arrow3.jpg Arrow4.jpg Arrow1.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

Khopesh

Oct 1, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lastly, just out of interest, what are these 3 artifacts roughly worth?

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is definitely a Thebes and it looks like it might be Coshocton Flint which is from Ohio. I wouldn't be surprised if it was actually from Ohio. What you are seeing from the end is called beveling. That is from resharpening the blade edges. It was a way they could sharpen the edges without losing a lot of blade. I'd bet the base, very top, is ground really smooth. Almost all Thebes are heavily ground.

As for price, I turned down $500 cash for mine. I know it's not worth that, but I couldn't sell it because it's personal find. Realistically, I'd say yours would bring between $75 to $100, especially for a collector would collects Thebes Hafted Scrapers.

The small black Point looks like Lamoka which is an eastern Point type. It is made from Kanawha Flint from West Virgina. Not much value in these common types. $10 to $15 tops.

The Axe is a 3/4 Grooved and is from the Archaic time period. From 8500 BC to around 5000 BC. Axes are hard to price. I've seen really nice go for very small amounts and large clunky ones go for big money. I'd say your's would be in the $75 to $100 range at auction.

Hope this helps you out.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good straight forward and accurate info from G.R.
That's real passion ... Nice artifacts you have there.

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is definitely a Thebes and it looks like it might be Coshocton Flint which is from Ohio. I wouldn't be surprised if it was actually from Ohio. What you are seeing from the end is called beveling. That is from resharpening the blade edges. It was a way they could sharpen the edges without losing a lot of blade. I'd bet the base, very top, is ground really smooth. Almost all Thebes are heavily ground.

As for price, I turned down $500 cash for mine. I know it's not worth that, but I couldn't sell it because it's personal find. Realistically, I'd say yours would bring between $75 to $100, especially for a collector would collects Thebes Hafted Scrapers.

The small black Point looks like Lamoka which is an eastern Point type. It is made from Kanawha Flint from West Virgina. Not much value in these common types. $10 to $15 tops.

The Axe is a 3/4 Grooved and is from the Archaic time period. From 8500 BC to around 5000 BC. Axes are hard to price. I've seen really nice go for very small amounts and large clunky ones go for big money. I'd say your's would be in the $75 to $100 range at auction.

Hope this helps you out.
As hard as the stuff is too find one would think some stuff would be worth more.Not to mention being prehistoric art!It doesn't get much neater then that in my opinion.I would never want too part with the little bit of stuff I have found,but I wonder why the market value for some stuff seems so low.Is it because so many large older collections exist?

Last edited:

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As hard as the stuff is too find one would think some stuff would be worth more.Not to mention being prehistoric art!It doesn't get much neater then that in my opinion.I would never want too part with the little bit of stuff I have found,but I wonder why the market value for some stuff seems so low.Is it because so many large older collections exist?

IMO it is due to the modern points that have been made over the years. I don't sell any of my personal finds either. Takes to long to find just 1 for me to sell it for 5-25$ each.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The bottom has fell out the market recently. I know several sellers who say it's been really hard selling pieces so the prices have came down to try to get people buying again. The top collectors will always buy the very expensive high end pieces because they can afford it. The common collector can't do that so it's good for us. I have gotten some great deals on pieces in the past couple of years.

The $500 I was offered for my Thebes was from a man who collected those types and had around 50 or more. He started at $200 and I told him no. He came back several times until he was up to $500 and I told him he could go to $1000 and I would still say no. That is one of my top 5 flint finds and I could never sell it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread