Tuesday Hunt

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was finally able to go out to our site and do a little rehab work before fall rains start I hope . We planted native grass and wild flowers on the ground we disturbed and had time to screen a little I found a couple of points and a little Drill . The roads where reopened after the recent rain let them get the wild fire under control and the air is breathable again . We started digging this section early this spring by next spring it will look untouched . IMG_6615.JPG IMG_6616.JPG P9301242.JPG P9301244.JPG P9301245.JPG

Upvote 0

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to ask on the broken ones you find. Do you think they were already broken before you dug them by the maker or do you think machinery has done it from modern man? I don't dig but find plenty of broken pieces on the top in the fields and always wondered. Thanks for the info in advance, rock

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
I have to ask on the broken ones you find. Do you think they were already broken before you dug them by the maker or do you think machinery has done it from modern man? I don't dig but find plenty of broken pieces on the top in the fields and always wondered. Thanks for the info in advance, rock

hey hey rock

i for sure don't know all the answers.......but imo the farm equipment does not break that much

i say impact fractures etc do most of the brokes......but i am just going on my experience.......and in my area

i grew up on a farm and own ten tractors and much tillage equipment........when i hear broke by a plow.......i think not hardly too much

......i always think "let's take 100 points and asst'd blades and scatter them in an area about that size"

now it would suck to go retrieve them all but i just bet if we ran a plow through the area ten times and then went and found them.......i doubt if we would find any broke at all

you have the right to disagree with me and it won't bother me one bit......i am just sayin' that's all

Last edited:

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to agree with Larson small artifacts I don't think get broken a lot by plow, but larger ones like celts and so on do. Those are some nice finds:thumbsup:

OP
OP
southfork

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some may have broken during manufacture but with the amount of burnt and broken bone and charcoal we find I think they came home with dinner . Hundreds came out of that little patch a lot of them are just missing a little piece of a tip or one barb . You noticed how dark the soil is ? the normal color is red .

Last edited:

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
Some may have broken during manufacture but with the amount of burnt and broken bone and charcoal we find I think they came home with dinner . Hundreds came out of that little patch a lot of them are just missing a little piece of a tip or one barb . You noticed how dark the soil is ? the normal color is red .

i feel that you are in agreement with me on this they cameback broke from impact fractures......not by plows.....how could a dang plow beak the tip off of one of them???

really....how????

i say to you friend you have some good finds there....i think you can go find more right there.....you never know what you will come up with

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know about stone elsewhere but down here, you can usually tell whether a break is ancient or recent by the patina or the lack thereof on the break itself.

pickaway

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like another good dig, way to go... Nice Finds

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice hunt...I love that tell tale soil.
It's pretty easy to tell if a break is recent or not if there's any amount of the patina on the stone

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds!I would be doing some more digging.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was wondering.. Does the burnt bone come out with blue and white colors in your area too?
Also...the wood...mostly small lengthways pieces burnt on the ends?

Last edited:

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the response to my question southfork. Now in the fields I hunt they do disc, plow, bulldoze, bobcat and I also saw a plow looking thing like a snow plow scrapping the top soil the other day. The plow might not break them but I would think all of the other machines might? Also they do burn off the grass which could cause them to break. Our soil is red clay which gets hard as rock in the summer with no rain.
I can see some being broken as you say from bringing dinner home and cooking it.

OP
OP
southfork

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was wondering.. Does the burnt bone come out with blue and white colors in your area too?
Also...the wood...mostly small lengthways pieces burnt on the ends?
We find little to no wood only charcoal and some of the bone fragments are burnt almost all pieces of bone are cracked open .

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks.. Yeah some areas really really broke down the bone..used the marrow probably and even rendered the bone into food.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread