BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Shovels....lots of shovels!
Primary Interest:
Other
I wanted to see if anyone here is doing any knapping. I'm curious to see some work that you may have done and I also have a lot of knapping material that someone might be interested in. I have many large specimens of Chalcedony (blue/grey/white), Agates, some Obsidians, etc.
I have a crap load of the blue/grey/white Chalcedony.

This is a piece I found today: About 40-50 lbs. I cleaned it up some and I didn't use bleach, lol. That's there for a size comparison.

125_3117.JPG

125_3110.JPG

125_3115.JPG

125_3123.JPG

125_3124.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Monsterrack is a knapper you might ask him. Feel free to show some of your work.

OP
OP
BurntBear

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I wish I could. I'm not a knapper myself, but I'm very interested in learning. I thought I would probably get some good advice here on TN. These guys are awesome. :notworthy:

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a big rock. As far as I know it has to be solid with no cracks or holes in it. I don't knapp but have gave some rocks away I thought to be good ones but found out later they weren't usable.

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a big chunk of stone, it's hard to tell if it is good for knapping from a photo. Stone has to be solid like Rock said, a hole here are there does not hurt it but freeze cracks and shock cracks can do a lot of damage. Some stone has to be heat treated , some do not like Obsidian. PM me and we can talk more on this. Cool rock:thumbsup:I bet it was tough to get it out of the woods.

painterx7

Silver Member
Jul 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm no knapper but it looks no good imo

OP
OP
BurntBear

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the responses. I honestly wouldn't know good material from the bad. I just know what it is, lol. There is such a variety of minerals here, it's pretty unreal.

Here are some more shots of various Agates and such:

5.jpg

7.JPG

125_1753.JPG

125_1759.JPG

125_1763.JPG

125_2579.JPG

125_3045.JPG

125_3052.JPG

OP
OP
BurntBear

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I bet it was tough to get it out of the woods.

Yes. I threw it on my shoulder and carried it 1/4 of a mile down the mountain. I would do that with any cool specimen though, lol.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No offense but I don't believe any of what you posted is good for knapping. Monster does work wonders with all types of stone. He is the best I have ever seen for making his own. He might be able to use it. The hairlines in the rock are so small it is hard to see with the naked eye when the rock is no good. Creek rock flint is one of the best useable stone but it has to be a certain depth under water all times of the year to be any good. I did check into it at one time due to I was going to try and sell it. I decided not to sell seeing most of the rock here isn't that great in size.

OP
OP
BurntBear

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you very much. Like I said, I really don't know much about it yet. I have a feeling some of it is usable. Some of it came from under ground or buried in a stream. Thanks for your help. -Luke

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions