Sometimes Things Are Just Meant To Be Found.

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wanted to go bow hunting today, but the wind was blowing real hard . So I waited and went toward the mid day and the wind just did not wont to lay down, so I decided to try to make a stalk hunt. I came across some fresh hog signs and fell in behind them. They had really tore up a ridge top, I knew they were real close and I keep my eyes looking for movement, but I could not keep from looking at the dirt they had turned over. I had almost walked past this and the sun changed and I spotted the edge. At first I thought it was a piece of pottery, till I got a closer look and then I thought it was going to be broke. 10-5-14 002.JPG When I pulled it out all I could say was( Thank You Jesus), 10-5-14 003.JPG it is such a rush when you find a nice piece, I forgot all about the hogs. This is the first whole gorget that I have ever found and the only one made from slate. Slate is something that does not come from this area, so it had to be traded into this area. I wiped it off the best I could but was to scared to dig out the dirt in the holes. 10-5-14 006.JPG So when I got home I got out the dental pick and went to work with it and the electric tooth brush and this is a cleaned up photo. 10-5-14 013.JPG
I have always had to dig, walk fields and creeks to find things, this has made me think of the things that are just laying out there to be found by someone. I did not have artifact hunting on my mind due to all the leaves that have fallen, but I can't keep my eye's off of fresh dirt. It's going to be a long deer season I think.

Upvote 0

Dagger Woods

Apr 29, 2014
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro Int'l
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With respect to the artifact above the name gorget is European and was given to these artifacts by Europeans only because of how similar they look it really has nothing to do with describing their function

Okay, that's not an unusual scenario... that's happened more than once, I'm sure. So what then IS the function of this object? If you, or anyone else knows, it would be nice if you shared your knowledge. People are askin', but nobody's answerin'...

OP
OP
monsterrack

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A forget was believed to have been worn around the neck at about chest level for decoration or to show ones social status.

Sent from my RM-845_nam_vzw_100 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
monsterrack

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Darn phone I meant gorget

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh my goodness monsterrack.....I don't think I've ever seen something like that...SUPER AWESOME :wav:....I'm sooo happy for you...BANNER for sure! Now I have to go google it to see if there's any pictures (drawings?) of it being used.....amazing:icon_thumright:

Be careful of the wild hogs, aren't they dangerous?

I went and found this picture showing how they wore them.... images.jpg

Last edited:

Dagger Woods

Apr 29, 2014
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro Int'l
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A gorget was believed to have been worn around the neck at about chest level for decoration or to show ones social status.

Great, thanks for the clarification. I had assumed it was a decorative piece but I wasn't 100% sure.

Flea-bit Monkey

Apr 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Do you know where the slate came from? How far from you? Beautiful!!! Got my vote.

eppingera

Aug 29, 2012
Each post and every reply has a small red rectangle at the top right corner that says "nominate banner". Click on that icon and leave a short message.
Ok, I don't see that. I must have to go to the regular site not the iPad app....

treasurehunter313

Apr 29, 2014
PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful. I don't know much about Native American artifacts, but that thing is awesome. How much would you ballpark that for a value? I know you would probably never sell it, but I like to know the values of things haha. Heck I refuse to sell any of the things I find with my detector and they are much less rare! Congrats again!

OP
OP
monsterrack

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful. I don't know much about Native American artifacts, but that thing is awesome. How much would you ballpark that for a value? I know you would probably never sell it, but I like to know the values of things haha. Heck I refuse to sell any of the things I find with my detector and they are much less rare! Congrats again!

The price for an artifact like that goes from top to bottom. Just my guess between $200 and $300. I have seen some on e-bay for $50, but I don't think they are real old artifacts and you are right it will never get sold.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread