aint for sure what to call it

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I was hunting with one of my boys one day and this one comes popping out at me in the sunshine...I love it when they do that, they just light up like a neon sign. I wish I could get the true color of this one on the camera, it is a pink/purple agate and shows up great in your hand. I am having a bit of a time I.D.ing it ...it seems to be a "Cascade Shouldered" but seems too darn sharp and "new" to be in the 6,000 year plus catagory. But when I poke around the other lanceolate varieties they just don't seem on the money. any ideas would be appreciated.

this one is pure west coast too...100% PNW in fact.

Attachments

• DSC06494.JPG
    DSC06494.JPG
    393 KB · Views: 97
  • DSC06487.JPG
    DSC06487.JPG
    386 KB · Views: 112
Upvote 0

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I have read some believe later in years other NA found points just like us and then repurposed them for their own use. Makes sense to me. So it could be old but just reused later. A customer told me yesterday I was to late to find any points around here cause when he was a kid they use to be piled up by the thousands in the fields. He was about 85

OP
OP
unclemac

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Well I have read some believe later in years other NA found points just like us and then re purposed them for their own use. Makes sense to me. So it could be old but just reused later. A customer told me yesterday I was to late to find any points around here cause when he was a kid they use to be piled up by the thousands in the fields. He was about 85

i think that all the time...if we find points, then the native peoples did too...now if I found a jackknife or steel drill bit or a hammer on the ground, I would think "sweet!"...and take it home to use, so I am sure they did too. Any one know any good papers on just such a subject?

when I was a kid we used to find points on the beach every time we went out, ma used to pick them up by the shoe box full dragging behind the horses in the fields...my cousin owns a place in the desert where they DO just lie all over but she leaves them in place (an old well used camp site). And then there is this guy...Waldo Wilcox

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/nation/2004-06-24-indian-village_x.htm

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_thumleft: That sure is beautiful gem-quality material and a beauty at that. As mentioned, it may have been re-worked.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is nice..
It does resemble a reworked broken tip to me.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I took my finds to the show a guy told me some of mine looked rechipped Im guessing he meant reworked cause I know I didn't chip them. Found them in the dirt just the way they are in my frames.

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice cascade they come in all sizes and some look as fresh as the day they were made .

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
That's a real gem!

I would agree with shouldered cascade. I take it the base is not ground on this one like the older pieces are.

pristine looking artifacts with extremely sharp edges are not uncommon at all imho.

OP
OP
unclemac

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
That's a real gem!

I would agree with shouldered cascade. I take it the base is not ground on this one like the older pieces are.

pristine looking artifacts with extremely sharp edges are not uncommon at all imho.

..gotta love finding stuff that was old before the Romans even founded Rome!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread