how do you organize your points?

eastTNJoe

Mar 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wanted some suggestions from you all regarding ways you frame your points. I originally thought that I would do all the stuff I found in one year. This would include the best stuff and the rough stuff that was mostly complete…not all the other parts-n-pieces.

Then I thought it would be fun to build smaller frames organized around style, like one for stemmed points, one for triangles, etc. I also considered doing it by where I found them, but that would involve a few frames with the majority of my finds and then a few with some random sites.

My last thought was to only do the best…but that seems tough, because there are some that I like to look at but aren't the best made and then I wonder how I narrow down.

Maybe there are some other ideas that are even better. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Upvote 0

Cosmo

Aug 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the little riker boxes try and keep all like types together. They are also easy to hide. Unlike a lot of people unfortunately,I don't feel safe displaying in my house due to thieves.

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have some frames that the points are glued to the backing and then I have some that are lose in frames and I move them around, look at them again , to study them when I can't get out. I keep all broken points and what is it stuff in bags so I can study them also. I keep a book on all my artifacts where they were found and when and I catalog them by a number system. The main thing is just have fun with them, I put stuff together that just looks right with each other, different style, time frame and stone type. I like a frame with a lot of color.

OP
OP
eastTNJoe

eastTNJoe

Mar 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have some frames that the points are glued to the backing and then I have some that are lose in frames and I move them around, look at them again , to study them when I can't get out. I keep all broken points and what is it stuff in bags so I can study them also. I keep a book on all my artifacts where they were found and when and I catalog them by a number system. The main thing is just have fun with them, I put stuff together that just looks right with each other, different style, time frame and stone type. I like a frame with a lot of color.

I think I like variety too. It makes it more interesting to look at…and when I have an itch but can't hunt it is fun pick them up and examine them. I like the catalog system you suggested. I have that info, but haven't assigned them numbers. I think I may borrow that idea. Do you mark the "b" side with a pen, take a picture or do a drawing to keep them straight?

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't mark mine but do keep them together usually in frames from each site area. Creek or field. Creek it doesn't really matter due to you really don't know exactly where they had washed out from. My personal finds are separate from my purchase finds for sure.

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I like variety too. It makes it more interesting to look at…and when I have an itch but can't hunt it is fun pick them up and examine them. I like the catalog system you suggested. I have that info, but haven't assigned them numbers. I think I may borrow that idea. Do you mark the "b" side with a pen, take a picture or do a drawing to keep them straight?

I use clear finger nail polish and after it dries assign it a number on top of polish with fine point sharpe. That way if you want to remove the number for any reason a little polish remover will do it.

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PA051279.JPG PA051280.JPG PA051281.JPG I build all my cases mostly red oak and keep sites separated . Here's a couple I'm working on .

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do most of mine by sites. I started doing this about 20 years ago when I first started hunting Ft Ancient sites and then it spilled over the other sites I hunt. I still have a few trays that are mixed with pieces from various sites but most of those are older trays that I just never changed because I liked the way they looked.

Here's a few examples of my site trays.

Attachments

• 100_9947.jpg
    100_9947.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 70
  • 100_9937.jpg
    100_9937.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 74
  • Feurt Site Collection (82).jpg
    Feurt Site Collection (82).jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 75
  • Feurt Site Collection (39).jpg
    Feurt Site Collection (39).jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 77
  • Feurt Site Collection (28).jpg
    Feurt Site Collection (28).jpg
    266.5 KB · Views: 72
  • DSC_0002.jpg
    DSC_0002.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 80
  • DSC_0029.jpg
    DSC_0029.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 71

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
i don't frame mine at all, i like to be able to pick them up from time to time and hold them and look them over again and again, so i built glass shelves to put them on in recessed cabinets in the wall..like a medicine chest.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine are by site.
Reaper.... I'm jealous of your pottery disks... Every one I've found is broken.. A friend of mine found a nice drilled one with a check stamp pattern right next to me his first time at a site I've found three broken.

OP
OP
eastTNJoe

eastTNJoe

Mar 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i don't frame mine at all, i like to be able to pick them up from time to time and hold them and look them over again and again, so i built glass shelves to put them on in recessed cabinets in the wall..like a medicine chest.

Wow that sounds so neat!…like a museum…could you add a picture?

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Wow that sounds so neat!…like a museum…could you add a picture?

sure, here you go. Pretty simple to make with really, really basic carpentry skills.

Attachments

• DSC04231.JPG
    DSC04231.JPG
    58.7 KB · Views: 70
  • DSC04232.JPG
    DSC04232.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 65

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow Mac nice work on those. I know some think anyone could do that type of thing but it does not come easy to me. I do enjoy seeing it though.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
thanks Rock, but I got to tell you it is all pretty much technique and prior knowledge....not much actual skill...you know, you look at something and see how it is made and say..."I could do that"...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread