monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought this mite help someone in some way, when faced with is this an old arrowhead or new. The first photo is of a piece of Dacite that was chipped with an antler. 001.JPG The next photo is the same type of stone but chipped with a copper tool. 002.JPG Now both stones side by side. 003.JPG Notice the ripples that the one chipped with antler has and the one that was chipped with copper does not have as many and when copper leaves ripples they are deeper and more pronounced. Antler is a softer item to knap with compared to copper, so you see the shock wave pattern, which are the ripples more with antler than metal and as I said metal billets make deeper ripples and the shock wave is much stronger so it goes through the stone farther and that is why knappers like to use metal. Both pieces where chipped from bottom edge of each piece in the photo.

Upvote 0

painterx7

Silver Member
Jul 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice thanks for input rack as always helpful !!!!

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So what is the difference between ones that have been made using another stone / rock?

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When the black flint is fresh it is a brighter color also and seems more shinny? If it is a old point it is usually dull from what I have seen. Is that correct?

OP
OP
monsterrack

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You will have the same effect on other stone as with the Dacite. New points will have a better shine to them, but that doesn't always mean they are not a real artifact. The stone I used is a type of Obsidian and most of the time it will still be shiny, unless blasted by sand or rolling in a river.

Sent from my RM-845_nam_vzw_100 using Tapatalk

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looked like the flint I find here in GA is the reason I asked.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread