Maine tanged knife

mainejman

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_20141011_165420_152-1.jpg . This tanged knife was found on the shoreline of Sebasticook lake.The lake is drawn down every fall to control algae levels.This allows opportunities for fellows like me to make a few artifact rescues.The fact that it was still intact in such a harsh environment is a sign to me that it was meant to be......it is five inches long and two inches wide....mjm

Upvote 0

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet find looks almost like a Hoe.

OP
OP
mainejman

mainejman

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes it has a lot of work along the edge.When I first found it I thought it was a broken ulu. Most Zulus I believe are made is slate though......mjm IMG_20141011_170402_854.jpg

painterx7

Silver Member
Jul 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet piece for sure !!!!! Like some more pics

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good find!! To bad there's not a way really judge the age of pieces like that; it's got that very, very old look. Tony

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yes it has a lot of work along the edge.When I first found it I thought it was a broken ulu. Most Zulus I believe are made is slate though......mjm View attachment 1067042

Yeah, most ulus(semi-lunar knife) are ground slate implements, mostly dating to Early Archaic. But chipped ulus were also fashioned. I have a section of a broken chipped quartzite ulu.

Ground slate ulu and below that a fragment of a chipped quartzite ulu found at an Early Archaic camp in association with bifurcates and Late Paleo/Early Archaic lances.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 85
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
I does look like it could be a nice ulu to me as well, or an all-purpose butchering tool. If hafted, the right hand side edge looks like it would make a good "meat clever", while the worked/ulu edge, would make quick work of big game hide removal. Nice big interesting piece no matter how you look at it. HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread